cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 jeep Cherokee 4x4 flat towable!

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
I think the title says it all. The new 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 with 2 speed transfer case includes a neutral setting for recreational towing. Kudos to jeep for making a small crossover SUV with this provision.:C
19 REPLIES 19

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Cbones wrote:
sgip2000 wrote:
Jeep brought the Cherokee back or are you referring to the "Grand Cherokee"?

The new 2014 Cherokee based on a FIAT model. Competes with Honda CRV, RAV4, Escape, and such. I am not referring to its big brother, although that can be equipped as well for flat towing.

Fiat where did you get this -

02. The 2014 Jeep Cherokee Is Based On A Fiat Platform

A big part of the 2014 Jeep Cherokee's highly individualized looks have to do with the platform that sits underneath its sheet metal. The Jeep Cherokee makes use of a modified version of the same underpinnings used by the Dodge Dart compact sedan, which in turn is derived from an Alfa Romeo design. This means that the Jeep Cherokee benefits from a front-wheel drive layout, which is a first for the rugged brand, in addition to its available four-wheel drive models. Front-wheel drive might seem like a radical departure for Jeep, but its arrival coincides with the very real need to build more fuel efficient vehicles to balance out thirstier elements of the company's lineup.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Cbones wrote:
sgip2000 wrote:

The new 2014 Cherokee based on a FIAT model. Competes with Honda CRV, RAV4, Escape, and such. I am not referring to its big brother, although that can be equipped as well for flat towing.

Fiat where did you get this -
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Dan_public
Explorer
Explorer
Cbones wrote:
Dan_public wrote:
Cbones wrote:
Dan_public wrote:
tkcas01 wrote:
rexlion wrote:
Based on a Fiat... the Jeep might need to be towed quite a bit, lol.

Oh, that's cold! ๐Ÿ˜„

Plus, how long does it take before the base plate manufacturers come out with base plates to fit a new vehicle like this???

Hmmm... Good point.

Not very. As soon as they start shipping them, you can volunteer to be the test subject with Blue-ox and they will give you a free base plate. If you are really contemplating this vehicle, give Blue-ox a call and lock it in.

Cbones,

Ah... Lab rat! Have to think carefully this one. Uhmmm... You wouldn't be a Blue-ox fan by any chance, would you? ๐Ÿ™‚

Dan.

I confess, I own a Blue-ox baseplate and tow bar, but I was relaying what I know about them. I am not pushing any company until they offer kickbacks. Til then, feel free to spend your money your way.

Cbones,

I'm just ribbing you a bit. I wasn't accusing you of anything.

In any case, I'm still very much at the beginning of my learning curve. I need to move slowly, even at the expense of missing good deals. Thanks for the tip though.

Regards,

Dan.

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
Dan_public wrote:
Cbones wrote:
Dan_public wrote:
tkcas01 wrote:
rexlion wrote:

Oh, that's cold! ๐Ÿ˜„

Plus, how long does it take before the base plate manufacturers come out with base plates to fit a new vehicle like this???

Hmmm... Good point.

Not very. As soon as they start shipping them, you can volunteer to be the test subject with Blue-ox and they will give you a free base plate. If you are really contemplating this vehicle, give Blue-ox a call and lock it in.

Cbones,

Ah... Lab rat! Have to think carefully this one. Uhmmm... You wouldn't be a Blue-ox fan by any chance, would you? ๐Ÿ™‚

Dan.

I confess, I own a Blue-ox baseplate and tow bar, but I was relaying what I know about them. I am not pushing any company until they offer kickbacks. Til then, feel free to spend your money your way.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
Cbones wrote:
sgip2000 wrote:

That sucks. I was excited for a minute. ๐Ÿ˜ž

If you are interested in towing a '14 GC 4x4, it is totally possible. Just push the button.

Dan_public
Explorer
Explorer
Cbones wrote:
Dan_public wrote:
tkcas01 wrote:
rexlion wrote:

Oh, that's cold! ๐Ÿ˜„

Hmmm... Good point.

Cbones,

Dan.

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
Dan_public wrote:
tkcas01 wrote:
rexlion wrote:

Oh, that's cold! ๐Ÿ˜„

Hmmm... Good point.

Dan_public
Explorer
Explorer
tkcas01 wrote:
rexlion wrote:

Oh, that's cold! ๐Ÿ˜„

Hmmm... Good point.

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:

Oh, that's cold! ๐Ÿ˜„

Roaming Full Timer

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Dan_public
Explorer
Explorer
I've been checking out the 2014 Cherokee. While I'm not a big fan of it's exterior, overall the Cherokee seems like a good option for my needs. However...

Be careful when ordering. Their website is very confusing. After building and pricing a Limited and a TrailHawk, I found their packaging is odd.

You can tow a TrailHawk 4 down and it has some options I want, but it looks like there are some options like the Luxury Group that cannot be added to the TrailHawk. And it has the off-road suspension which improves it's off-road ability, but at the expense of the road handling.

OTOH, you can get the Limited which is a better road car, but if you want to tow, you need to add the "9-Speed Automatic Transmission With Jeep Active Drive II" option - $995. However, that option automatically adds the off-road suspension - which adds an inch to ground clearance, at the expense of road handling.

It still looks like a good option, but don't assume anything about the configuration and towability.

Regards,

Dan.

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, I did not hear they were bringing back the "Cherokee". It appears this is replacing the Liberty which is not in the 2014 lineup as far as I can see.
Roaming Full Timer

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Cbones wrote:
I think the title says it all. The new 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 with 2 speed transfer case includes a neutral setting for recreational towing. Kudos to jeep for making a small crossover SUV with this provision.:C

Wish they would start shipping volume.....

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
..Although I don't have any interest or need for a Jeep Cherokee, I am very glad to see that automakers are offering one more choice for those of us that want to flat tow a vehicle behind our Motorhomes. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")