cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Jeep Cherokee Question

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
This would be for any (or all I guess) with the push button start. When you go through the procedure in the manual for shifting to neutral, how do you shut the engine back off?

After you press the little "neutral" button and the light comes on, you are supposed to shift to neutral, start the vehicle, and then shift into drive and then reverse to ensure that there is no movement. After you confirm, when you try to shut it off it says "vehicle not in park". Well, you cant put it in park now because the engine is running and you will get some nasty gear clash.

This is the same procedure for my '12 Ram, but it actually has a key fob so you can shut engine off when not in park.
2021 Jayco Seismic 4212 (on order)
2021 Jayco White Hawk 32BH
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 CC Cummins/Aisin Laramie Longhorn
9 REPLIES 9

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Ours does not clash when putting into park and pushing the button for engine stop.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
On second reading I guess they do say HOLD see step 10. I made the hold in BOLD

Yours may be different than the GC but with the keyless start system I would think they would be the same Give it a try but I sure would refrain from shifting the trans into Park and grinding gears. If is doesn't work I would take it in and have the dealer show you how to di it.

This is IMO

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, with the engine
running.

2. Press and hold the brake pedal.

3. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.

4. If vehicle is equipped with Quadra-Lift™ air suspension,
ensure the vehicle is set to Normal Ride Height.

5. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, press and hold
the recessed transfer case NEUTRAL (N) button (located
by the selector switch) for four seconds. The
light behind the N symbol will blink, indicating shift
in progress. The light will stop blinking (stay on solid)
when the shift to NEUTRAL (N) is complete.A“FOUR
WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM IN NEUTRAL” message will
display on the EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information
Center). Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center
(EVIC)” in “Understanding Your Instrument
Panel” for further information.

6. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL (N)
light stays on, release the NEUTRAL (N) button.

7. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.

8. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure
that there is no vehicle movement.

9. Shift the transmission back into NEUTRAL

10. With the transmission and transfer case in NEUTRAL,
press and HOLD the ENGINE START/STOP
button until the engine turns off. Turning the engine
off will automatically place the transmission in
PARK.

11. Press the ENGINE STOP/START button again (without
pressing the brake pedal), if needed, to turn the
ignition switch to the OFF position.

12. Firmly apply the parking brake.

13. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable
tow bar.

14. Release the parking brake.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT FOLOW what some are telling you to do. If you do you are taking a chance of causing damage to your Jeep.

I have a 2014 GC and I followed the instructions exactly like they say and it works fine. The only place you are is were it tells you that it must be in Park to shut off in the readout. Just continue holding the Start/Stop button and it well after a few moments shut the engine off.

Then when you restart the engine you well see that it has indeed put the trans into Park just like they stated.

Again don't force it into Park like some have suggested. That may work for other models but is not the way yours is intended to operate.

I followed the instructions as the book stated and they do work. The one thing they should tell us is to continue holding the Start/Stop button till the engine shuts down.

Hope this helps.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

clements02
Explorer
Explorer
After step 12 let it idle down. If you rev the engine when in reverse, it may take a while to idle down. I have ran into the same issue and that is what I had to do to avoid grinding. If I don't rev the engine while in reverse(checking for movement), then I never get any grinding. The cherokee tows really well and has been a great vehicle. I hope you get your issues resolved.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need to take it in for service to check over. It should not grind or clash. Something's wrong IMO. Disclaimer: I don't own one yet, I only test drove a Cherokee and a couple of Grand Cherokees... and they all shut off easily when I shifted them into park and then pressed the switch.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
Below from my owners manual. Just like it says for my Ram, which works perfectly. But this mentions a "key fob" which allows you to shut engine off. Cherokee has no key fob.

8. Start the engine.
9. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
10. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure
that there is no vehicle movement.
11. Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL.
12. Apply the parking brake.
13. Shift the transmission into PARK, turn the engine
OFF, and remove the key fob.
14. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable
tow bar.
15. Release the parking brake.

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will not let the engine shut off until you put in back in park. If you try to put in park with engine running, you get clash.

I had to force it and hit the button somewhat simultaneously.

Trust me, I sat here in the parking lot at the office for 10 minutes thinking I was screwed!

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our '12 GC you simply pop out the start button and use the fob as a key. The button comes out easily with a small flat blade screw driver. The fob plugs in where the button came out.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

clements02
Explorer
Explorer
Just follow the instructions in the manual. You may have to wait for the idle to lower rpms after placing back in neutral from reverse. After the rpms lower, you won't get any grinding. The instructions work as written. You shut the engine off by pressing the start push button with your foot on the brake, same as normal. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to be smart, but there really are no "tricks".