cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel or pull trailer

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to decide if I should buy a 5th wheel or pull trailer. I am a small female (5'2/125lbs}. I'm not very strong. I will be on my own. I would like to bring along a small motorcycle & bicycle to use for errands so I don't have to keep using the diesel truck for all trips. I'm concerned I wouldn't be strong enough to hook up a pull trailer but it would be cheaper to buy & work out better to bring with a cycle. I pull a 25 foot 5th wheel now, but it is a little too small to be comfortable for fulltime. Opinions would be welcome.
18 REPLIES 18

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
edbehnke wrote:
you have a 5th wheel, do you like it???? then just stay with a 5th wheel. you already have the truck.

you might have some problem putting up a motorcycle on a rack so I'd stay with a bike. we had a scooter on the front of our truck but it was hard for me to put it up all the time.

X2, if you're comfortable with the 5er, stick with it. Just my opinion. I've never owned a 5er but travel with friends that do and maybe the 5er would be easier to hitch up for you. Hard to beat a nice 5er.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

2freelife
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it could be difficult to hook up a tow bar on a pull trailer. I'm also wondering if pulling a trailer is as easy as pulling a 5th wheel. I travel mostly in the west so I am on hills a lot. I have no problem hooking up my smaller 5th wheel. I've seen people who have a lift to put a cycle into the bed of the truck, so I'm considering how to work that out also. I sit in one spot for a few months at a time to workcamp so it's become kind of important to be able to get a small cycle for errands. I don't like my present 5th wheel. It has no slides & is only 24ft. I would like something a little bigger. I have a 2005 one ton ram diesel so the truck shouldn't be an issue.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I don't follow?

What are you concerned with as far as doing something that takes a lot of strength with a TT?

I have had TT all my life and there is nothing that takes strength to hook or unhook. Well, I guess jacking takes strength but I have had an electric jack for over 20 years so that leaves that out.

The WD bars may weigh 3 or so lbs a piece and it takes a little strength to lift them and put them in place but not and big strength.

When I have done 5 wheels the big strength move is pulling the latch bar. That thing can get really stuck sometimes and it takes a lot of strength to pull it.

Tell me what you are concerned with and maybe I can give you a better answer.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
you have a 5th wheel, do you like it???? then just stay with a 5th wheel. you already have the truck.

you might have some problem putting up a motorcycle on a rack so I'd stay with a bike. we had a scooter on the front of our truck but it was hard for me to put it up all the time.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015