cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another tire question - one going bald on side

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, I have a Jayco HT 26.5 RLS that we purchased in Jan. 2012 and have used the last four summers with no tire problems. We took a 3,500 mile trip last spring as well as going to Zion and up to and back from Grand Teton National Park 12 times. However, when hooking up at the Park on Monday I noticed that the inside tread in going bald on the driver side rear tire. All the other tires look fine. The tires are Marathons, OEM on this trailer, 225 75R 15 Load Range D. I don't really want to replace all four tires so was considering buying two new Marathons and replacing the two rear tires. I haven't looked at the production dates, but they don't seem to be showing any signs of cracking or other problems associated with "old" tires. I looked at Maxxis tires, but the prices kind of scare me off, as well, we don't have any dealers for Maxis around here in the middle of Wyoming. What do you think about the idea of buying two tires and simply replacing both the rear tires at this time? Or, taking the spare off the back and buying one tire and using the balding one as the spare?
John A. Lichty
7 REPLIES 7

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking something might be wrong with the axle. I had the bearings repacked last fall and before that there was no uneven wear. So, when I do this, I'll have the axle looked at as well as the bearings. I just might go with the spare and worry about replacing all of them in year or two when they get five or six years old, assuming I don't have any problems needing replacement before then.
John A. Lichty

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that the axle/spindle is bent, or, the bearing set is loose or just bad. Get it aligned first with the spare on it to determine the actual cause before buying tires.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'd stick the spare on and then get some new tires as well as get the axle alignment checked next year. If it took 4 years to wear our that tire, assuming you didn't hit a curb or pothole that you didn't know about, then the spare should last the rest of the season.

I recently had a GY Marathon start to have what looked like possible belt separation. I just swapped the spare for it and bought the cheapest spare Les Schwab had to replace the spare. My tires have about 12-13000 on them and are on their 3rd season. The rest look really good and show no signs of tread separation. Just returned from a 700 mile trip running 60-64mph with no issues. We only have a few more shorter type trips left, maybe 1200 miles total. I really want to run some 16" LT tires so I didn't want to replace any more tires than I had too.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with option 2
Bill and Joey the dog

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
I'd get the axels checked out. I had inner tire wear, so took the trailer to a trailer/axel shop. They adjusted the alignment and camber at $100/axel. I then bought new tires and they're all wearing evenly now. Very happy I took the time to do that.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If one tire is wearing more than the others, it indicates a problem. Since the wear is on the inside it could indicate a bent axle or broken spring pin.

You need to fix the cause and then replace the two rear tires or use the spare if it's the same type and good. Use the balding tire as the spare.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber breaks down the rule of thumb is five years anything after that you are more prone for tire failures do yourself a favor buy new tires