cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bear Spray

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
This may not be the best place on the forum to ask this question, but could anyone suggest a particular brand of bear spray. I have a trip to Yellowstone scheduled and would like to purchase a can before leaving home.

While we don't do remote hiking anymore, I would still feel better about having some kind of defense should a bear accidentally appear. I'm sure there are some brands better than others.
41 REPLIES 41

Community Alumni
Not applicable
pulpwood007 wrote:
Why buy local at Yellowstone? What's different about local vs. what's available on Amazon?

I would buy in the local area? Because I would be more assured that a local purchase would be in compliance with the area as far as EPA and local laws. Also I would assume that the spray would be fresh, not expired. Bottom line I would trust a local purchase more than an online purchase and I am willing to pay more.

When I camped between Cody and the East Gate the forest service came around and warned us about the Grizzly Bear problem that was there at that time. I purchased my Bear Spray in Cody and not sure but I think I got it at Walmart.

Also if you go into Canada some of the Bear Sprays are not allowed. Just an FYI

JimR

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my experience, which is a lot of time in bear country, bear bells are close to useless. Most of them are not very loud. Second bears in Yellowstone, Glacier and other heavily visited areas become habituated to humans. They are not hunted and often just don't leave even if they hear you. Bears do not have especially good hearing.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
Why buy local at Yellowstone? What's different about local vs. what's available on Amazon?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy it at the Yellowstone Visitor Center.

On a related note, when we were in Yellowstone, the rangers told us to talk loudly while hiking so the bears would hear us coming. When the wife finally get tired of talking, she told me to talk, so I started going "Here bear, bear bear. Here bear, bear, bear."

She was not amused. Majorly.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I have a can of UDAP bear spray. Thankfully I have not had an occasion to test it on a bear. I should mention that it says to avoid storing it in temps above 120 degrees or in a hot vehicle or direct sunlight. I suspect other brands might have similar cautions. If exposed to too high a temp, the can might discharge spontaneously. Imagine trying to camp in an RV that stinks of bear spray! So I store my can in a fridge or cooler when traveling.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

NatParkJunkie
Explorer III
Explorer III
just in case you're flying, you can't take bear spray on a plane. they will pull it out of your checked bag too. Getting bear spray in or near the park is convenient, but they charge more for it too. I had better luck stopping at a walmart to get bear spray there. Now I always carry it in the camper, even not in bear country as some additional human deterrent if I ever need it.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
x2 Bear Bells and buy local
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

EYEMLOST
Explorer
Explorer
Get and wear a bear bell.

Far better because they'll hear you and run away long before you see them.

Metallic sounds are unnatural in the wilderness and scares animals away.
1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Counter Assault is the brand I have seen most often and seems to be the brand carried by park rangers. I doubt there is a whole lot of difference in brands. Just be sure to get one with a nylon holster.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pick up a can somewhere in West Yellowstone, YNP it's self, or a sporting goods store when get near YNP. They are priced fixed from what I have seen and when I bought a can. Forget branding. You can also rent in YNP.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
The only way someone could know if one is better then another is to have tried several kinds on several different wild bear attacks and have survived the one that didnโ€™t work. Doubtful anyone has that kind of experiences.