cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel bearing repacking

Ljava
Explorer
Explorer

How often do you repack the RV wheel bearings? I'm getting many different opinions on this question.

12 REPLIES 12

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III

Not sure, but I think about every 2000 mi. or so.  If you have Never Lube Axles or axles that have a zirk fitting be careful how much grease you use, as too much can get on your breaks.  Be sure to take the pressure off the wheel by jacking the wheels up so you can spin the wheel and get the weight off.

Tadsher
Explorer
Explorer

I recently bought a used 2010 travel trailer, they, private party, told me it was in great condition and serviced annually. Owned by a senior widow. I checked it before buying it the best I could. They delivered it to me. Next weekend I gave it a more through check out. Found I needed 4 tires, Brakes, 12 volt house power repairs, Gas leaks repaired, Water leaks repaired. 30 amp house power repaired. My son and I have been fixing it since March and have most items repaired so it is usable. I plan an annual brakes and bearing inspections and grease bearings.  

Ljava
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks all. Appreciate the wisdom.

Every 6,000 miles which works out to about every 2 years.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

I'm with Stircrazy on it being smart to have it done at least once initially so you know it's good.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

every year I add new grease and force the old grease out.  but I don't have to take them apart to do that.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Somewhere between 3 days and 30 years. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Assuming it's done properly, it should be good for 20-30k miles but unlike a semi, most people only tow a couple thousand miles per year (if that), so they often revert to a time basis (annual, biannual, etc...) as it's easier to track but which is likely overkill as the grease doesn't go bad or pick up contaminants.

Result, you get recommendations that are all over the place. If you want something more definitive, look up the axle brand and they should have a recommendation online.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

you would be surprized how dark and oxidized the grease is when I take the old stuff out at the biging on the season.  I never used to repack them very often at all, but after having an incident with my brand new 5th wheel, never packed properly or enough at the factory, I just put new grease in every year now, takes me a hour or two and 30 bucks.  I also now use a IR thermomitor intermittiantly to check running temps to hopefully catch a issue before it happens, so far no issues since I started doing that.  I would recomend anyone buying a brand new trailer either service the berrings or get the dealership to do it as a condition of sale before it comes off the lot.  as I found out the issue I had is actualy quite comon..

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Big difference between bad/contaminated/worn out grease and never having been properly greased in the first place. 

I agree with at least pulling and checking when you get a new trailer as you have no idea if the last guy did it right and I've heard stories of new trailers coming with no grease. And pulling the tires is most of the work, so once you have the tires off, may as well repack them.

I also have a habit of feeling the hubs for excess heat when we stop but even freshly repacked, I'm doing it.

No harm in doing it more often but really not needed.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

oh I know I am probably a little overkill with once a year..  but when you get a berring that is glowing red 1/2 way home on your first trip you tend to watch them a little harder.  that was a fun trip home, little short drives with cool down stops for 200 miles. 

My first three trailers (old chalet, a tent trailer then a 28 foot trailer) I never checked them at all in 20 years they occupied, although I didn't have internet forums back then so there was nothing to make me paranoid ๐Ÿคฃ

if I had to pick a minimum I think I would do it every 3 years.. if the rv industry would switch over to cartrage bearings like most vehicles have you would never have to worry about it again.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

I don't have a set time for mine. Probably every few years or so. My trailer probably gets pulled under a thousand miles a year. So in reality, I'm probably repacking every 2-3000 miles. This is way less than the 30,000 miles that my old cars wanted.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II

Annually