cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black water smell outside...

asuwsh4
Explorer
Explorer
On our last boondocking trip, we smelled the black water tank from outside underneath the camper. There was no smell inside the camper. I thought I had cracked the tank or a small leak developed. When I got it home I checked everywhere and there was no leak but I could still smell it. So I dumped then I filled the tank up with water all the way to the top hoping I would see a leak underneath but there was none. I had the wife shake the trailer again hoping something would appear. Nothing! So then I thought perhaps it was the gray water even though I was pretty sure of what I was smelling. Same exercise on the gray water, again nothing. I emptied the tanks and this time I put in dish detergent and filled them up hoping that perhaps the foam might find its way out. Not sure what I was thinking there but again no leaks. Of course the smell is gone but I'm unsure what the problem is. Any thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Many RV parks with septic systems have vents - usually tall PVC pipes. If the wind is right and someone else is dumping you can sometimes smell it.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
batteries can smell awful too. Also our tires smelled like sewer. Made in China. Got new ones now no smell.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible (atleast on mine) that when I have the bathroom vent open that I'm actually "recycling" the fumes that go up black water vent pipe and then get wind blown back in bathroom vent? Just a thought.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum...was it extra hot when you were camping? Was it windy? Hot weather can cause the tanks to smell even more. Possibly you were actually getting some odor from the vent pipe and not from underneath.

Anyway, after all that filling and emptying, you now have a couple of clean tanks...:)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro