cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Controller installation for a Dolly on Class A

Campncouple
Explorer
Explorer
We need brakes on our Dolly which is hooked to our Class A . We took it to shop and were told it would be a 5 hour job and estimated cost just for labor around $600.00.
DH is now considering doing job himself. Have any of you done this or have any advice or experience? Would so appreciate any input.
Thank You or as we say in the South.. Thank Ya'll and Bless your Heart for the help!!.
2 REPLIES 2

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess the answer to your question would depend on what type of brakes you want installed. Many tow dollys have surge brakes as far as I know. I think that they would be quite a bit more expensive to put on a trailer that has no brakes than electric ones would.

If electric brakes are being considered, then I think all that would be needed is the correct brake assemblies, wire, and a brake controller. The controller is about $150 + or -.. The brake assembly is about $35-$50 each side. The wire probably less than $30.

You can probably find everything you would need from this web page.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you have a 2002 Damon Intruder on a Workhorse chassis it should be easy to find the brake signal on the brake pedal and easy enough to run a wire to the back for the trailer brakes. I would be ashamed if I could not do it in a couple of hours... three at the most.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...