cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brakes - No Brakes

TX77705
Explorer
Explorer
We were traveling on i81 near Roanoke VA in heavy stop and go traffic, on a very hot day, and decided to pull off to fuel up at a nearby Pilot. Brakes were fine up until we pulled up to pump to refuel. After refueling, we started to drive away when I felt the brake pedal go all the way to the floor. Luckily I was able to apply the e-brake and got the rig stopped. No dash lights came on to indicate any brake trouble, and a check of the brake fluid reservoir showed it full and no leaks. At this point, we called GS Roadside Assist for help (completely useless I might add, but that's another story), and after many calls back and forth the final outcome was that we were going to have to spend the weekend boondocked at this Pilot filling station. We settled in for the night, but after dark I thought I would give the brakes another check and found them to be working again. Back on the road, we completed our journey without further incident. Will have the rig into service tomorrow to have everything checked out, but wondering what could have caused this problem? Anyone have any similar experience or idea as to what could have caused this?
20 REPLIES 20

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Perhaps the brake fluid got too hot for some reason and it caused some vaporizing which can cause the pedal to go down since you are essentially pushing vapor and not fluid. This happens to us in racing on occasion.

Did you ever change the brake fluid or add fluid with a rating that had less heat resistance? You might want to have the brake fluid changed if you are sure there were no leaks anywhere within the system?

TX77705
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the master cylinder, then would it be normal for the brakes to "recharge" like they did?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If the brake pedal and bracket, along with the linkage to the master cylinder are still attached correctly, the only way the pedal can travel to the floor is if there is a failed seal in the master cylinder or an opening in the system to let brake fluid out. If the fluid level remains the same, the master cylinder is the culprit.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to guess master cylinder.

TX77705
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Coachman 28' C on Ford E450 chassis with the V10 eng.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure someone knows what you drive, maybe they would have a better idea what the problem might be.