cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carefree Awning Question

kbg
Explorer
Explorer
I had a dealer install a Carefree Slideout Awning topper over the slideout on my travel trailer 2 years ago. 2 years later, the topper is not working properly and the dealer just told me that the tube is slightly bent from water pooling up on top of it. Because of this, it isn't covered under my extended warranty. I am livid over this because it seems to me that that is what the awning topper is designed to do, to keep water off the top of the slideout and if that caused the tube to bend, it is a defect and should be replaced at no charge. He is basically telling me that I cant have my slideout extended out when its raining in Washington State. Am I the only one who thinks this is the dumbest explanation Ive ever heard?
10 REPLIES 10

path1
Explorer
Explorer
kbg wrote:
Kent RV, 22401 88th AVE S. Kent, WA 98031. I will never go back there again

And you used to be able to use their dump. Not anymore what I understand. Some guy dumped big time and the mess was so big it ran into the street and city got involved. City gave them a talking to and they don't want to risk anymore problems. Hearsay, what I heard, not chipped in stone, just what I heard.

I buy parts from them sometimes.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

kbg
Explorer
Explorer
He did take it off, cut some of the fabric off, respooled it and it works now. He charged me $246 bucks. My issue is and always has been that I spent over $700 on this topper that they put on, two years later they wouldn't back up their product nor take care of it on Extended Warranty that is supposed to cover all major items on my Trailer for five years from purchase. Its been two. They are insinuating that rain caused the bend so its not covered under warranty. $246 bucks is not that much money. That's not the point. I strongly believe in Service after the Sale. They lost my business as I wont ever go back there again. I am going to call CareFree and talk to them about this. It should not do this.

kbg
Explorer
Explorer
Kent RV, 22401 88th AVE S. Kent, WA 98031. I will never go back there again

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like he just does not want to fool with it.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
the weight of the water on the material should have caused the fabric to dip down NOT bend the hardware. Have never seen enough tension on the fabric taut enough to bend metal. How far out does your slide come? How much extra fabric is left on the roll when the slide is fully extended?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Call Carefree and ask them to get their opinion. They were very user friendly to me when I called them (about different problem).

But the long and short of your problem is that you'll probably cross that dealer off your list, and provide advertising for them. The bad type of advertising.

I'm in WA also. What dealer?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Community Alumni
Not applicable
IMO it should not have bent. My topper awning material is a mesh so no water accumulates there.

JimR

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbrower wrote:
I have the carefree slide toppers. The roller does not have much tension on it and any water that pools will just pull excess fabric out from roller. don't see how you could create enough tension to bend the roller.

Agree with that. When water pools on my slide topper it just weighs down onto the slide roof. When I leave and pull in the topper the water simple runs off,

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I have the carefree slide toppers. The roller does not have much tension on it and any water that pools will just pull excess fabric out from roller. don't see how you could create enough tension to bend the roller.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Does sound like a strange answer though I don't know how the tube bent or what your warranty says. Have you contacted the manufacturer? If not do.