cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying a dirt bike on the hitch of bumer pull TT?

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
I want to get a hitch installed on the rear of my TT so I can carry a dirt bike.

The bike is 220lb, probably closer to 240 wet. The travel trailer is a Nash 19B (has a heavy duty off road frame and is ~ 5,000lb ready to go). It also has had it's axle's flipped so it sits about 6" higher.

The truck is a plenty capable QCLB 3/4 Ton Ram with the 5.9 Cummins/6spd manual tranny.

But 300 odd pounds that far over the rear of the TT is going to lower the tongue weight a LOT! I'd imagine I'd need to lower the ball on the hitch to get the tongue weight back where it needs to be. But how much is the question.

Or are there other factors that make this a bad idea? What are your thoughts guys?
23 REPLIES 23

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
I like that idea and you see them around a bit in CO.

However, I think it makes more sense to live with out a topper on my truck.

Maybe I can rig up something in the Garage to make installing / un-installing the topper a simple task.

Some sort of soft top for the truck would be ideal, but I don't know if they exist over here. They are popular in Australia (where I'm from) on the small trucks/utes we have.

Taylor2000
Explorer
Explorer
http://rvingplanet.interactrv.netdna-cdn.com/make-image/mak4274_64/335x243/

Taylor2000
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I cant find it right now. Its a new bumper pull with front open for motrcycles It looks cool as heck. Has a deck on the front for all the toys. Not for sure if you would concider selling the one you got. Id like to find agargae type for me so i can store the jetskis in the winter

Taylor2000
Explorer
Explorer
theres acamper i seen hold on

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Any chance to modify the hitch assembly of the trailer to carry the bike? Mind you getting it up on the trailer would be ugly.

Maybe, but I think if it came to that, I'd look to take the topper off the truck and just put the bike in the bed.

I'm kind of partial to my topper and I'd have to find an alternative way to store stuff that I don't want to get wet/stolen.

I have a 3 rail motorcycle trailer that I could (maybe) triple tow with, but I don't like the idea of not being able to back up.

A toy hauler would be great, but I love my TT and it would cost a lot to get something as nice, but with a garage.

I live right near endless OHV trails that I can ride from the garage 3-4 times a week, so it's kind of hard to justify the expense of a toy hauler for a few trips a year. Especially when I could ditch the topper. Sure would be nice though, don't get me wrong.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Figure out a way to put more weight up front. More batteries? Firewood rack over the propane?

You have one of the few TTs that can handle the weight, but you'll need to get the tongue weight back somehow.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Taylor2000
Explorer
Explorer
http://towingworld.com/towinglawsbystate.cfm?state2=CO

Taylor2000
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the same situation. getting ready to buy my first setup and i want a toy hauler but I need something to tow the jetskis also. So i am thinking Id have to go 5th wheel for I see alot of them are designed to tow. I did find out some neat information about towing two trailers. Some states its legal some its not. So how does that work when going through other states?, I dont know. But in kansas its legal if your withing the weights. Also last vehicle must have brake assist on the axle.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I'd do it. Not that heavy a bike. Any chance to modify the hitch assembly of the trailer to carry the bike? Mind you getting it up on the trailer would be ugly.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.