cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I may be nuts, need second opinion

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize in advance for the long post. Just trying to give as much info as possible.

My GF and I are new to camping, bought a 2007 Aerolite 718fd in Feb. We made a shakedown weekend trip to Myrtle Beach SC just for a weekend. Then we made a trip in April to Florida all the way to KW, about 1800 miles ( 3 weeks ). Around Labor day we made a 10 day trip to the NC mountains, Franklin, Cherokee, and Chimney Rock.

We have really enjoyed the TT and plan to return to Fl this winter. The reason for this post is we are toying with the idea of taking off cross country. My reason for this post is to get opinions on whether we should try this with the current TV we have.

My truck is a 2004 F150, 4.6l 4x4 3.73 with 125,000 miles. Truck is in very good condition for its age. I have had new plugs, coolant flush, and transmission oil change since the 100,000 mile mark. Just installed Blisten shocks all around in Sept.

My weights per Cat scale on our trip in Sept are as follows:

steer axle 3200
drive axle 3260
camper 3320
gross 9780

truck 6110
By my calc trailer was 3670 and tongue weight was 350

These weights were during our 10 day trip and included all our " stuff "

The truck used between 1/2 to 3/4 qt of oil on the Fl trip ( 1800 miles +/-. I just had the oil changed and it used 1/2 qt in 3000 miles which included the 900 miles or so in the mountains trip.

I think the weights are ok as far as towing limits but my concern is the stress that pulling in the Rockies may have on my tv. The f150 did pretty good on both trips ( gas mileage s**ks ), pulls easily on flat ground, although it did not like the real long uphill grades in the mountains. It was only a problem on 3-4 long steep grades we encountered, requiring downshifting and slow going. Braking and handling ( sway ) no problem. I'm using a friction sway control bar. According to scangage highest temp reached on mountain trip was 202 on both engine and transmission. ( "normal" engine temp is about 188, tranny 175/180 )

My biggest concern is the long grades we would have to deal with out West. I lived in Idaho many years ago so have driven the Rockies but never towing anything.

I know there is no one answer but would like opinions, especially if someone with a similar rig has done this.

Option number 2 is to stay on flat ground and look for a newer 2012 / 2013 f150 with the 6 speed tranny and a 5.0l for more power.

thanks in advance
17 REPLIES 17

me1magoo
Explorer
Explorer
I would pack a few quarts of oil just in case, add a trans cooler and maybe an electric fan on it and go have fun. Your weights are pretty even and under 10,000 gross is doing pretty good, you guys travel light! Enjoy!
Mat
'05 Dodge 3500 SRW converted to DRW 4x4 QC LB SLT- CTD 325HP/610TQ w/ 6 speed manual- plus a little triple dog power...
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF33LF- 35' triple slides, dual a/c's, LOFT over the rear BR

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
A note from the F150 owners manual....
" Note: For high altitude operation, reduce the gross combined weight by
2% per 1000 feet (300 meters) starting at the 1000 foot (300 meter)
elevation point. "

Something else to consider. Perhaps this is the origin of the "80% rule".

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I love my f150 and am leaning toward just doing the trip. Sounds like others have done it with similar setups, guess I just need that push over the edge.

I agree with all of the above 'transmission cooler' add on would be good insurance. I spent several years pulling the mountains out west & east with a commercial rig and simply let the rig pull it in what ever gear works best. When it down shifts the first time glance at the speedo,tack & gauges. Should the transmission start searching between ranges simply manually down shift to the range the truck is comfortable with and continue up the grade. You do not need to be first to the top of the grade, some you will pull with the traffic others you will be passed on. The thing and you all ready know this from the trips you have taken - do not over work the truck for simply a few miles per hour.

JMHO Retired Training Engineer for a major transportation com.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Rockrash....you mentioned going for a 5.4 instead of 5.0 in a newer truck. Unless I missed something I don't think 5.4 is still available. I was looking at specs on a 2012 and it looks like 3.5l ecoboost or 5.0l v8 are my choices other than the standard v6 or 6.2l which I think are too little / too much for my needs.

I think the 5.0l has more power than the old 5.4l, or am I missing something?

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
You apparently have the cooler already and a trans temp guage - the temps around 190-210 seem within reason. You may not need to add anthing else. Try it and watch your temps. Adding a bigger cooler is not that big a job, atkes a couple hours especially if you have hoses already..
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. Would the trans cooler folks are suggesting be in addition to or a replacement for the one I have, or at least pretty sure I have, because I have trailer towing pkg and there is like a small radiator in front of the radiator?

Also, on adding fans...do they cool the engine only or also the tranny?

Have no experience with either. Looked online and prices don't seem too bad if installation is not too complicated.

Thanks

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're good to go - I pulled a little smaller TT over the rockies several times with a V-6. If your trans cooler is adequate, you apparently have a trnas temp guage, and your truck is mechanically sound there shoulfd not be a problem running in a lower gear to get up the longer steep grades.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doctor: You have 6 months to live.

Dangerfield: I want a second opinion!

Doctor: OK, you're ugly too.

Actually you are not pulling that much weight and without knowing your exact ratings for that drive train it would seem reasonable that you should be within all your weight specs. The 4.6 is no powerhouse so you will be working up the grades but I don't think you are overloaded to the point where you are killing the truck. A trans cooler is never a bad idea, and good that you have the scan gauge to keep an eye on temps. I would just take the trip....you'll know for sure when you get home whether you want to keep the truck or trade it!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'd put an electric fan in front of radiator. There are some 20 mile pulls and a lot of 9%ers as you know. From OKC to Amarillo I40 climbs an average of 18 ft/mi and the wind is always from the SW. We use pure CAT antifreeze (waterless) and can run temps of 230 degrees. If you worry about gas stay home, you know how much it costs and your mileage.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the trans cooler. A B&M super-cooler ( coolers ) should do just nicely. I am not familiar with your exact truck, but my old man found if he let his truck lose too much speed, his trans would start to heat up. That is a newer truck though, and the TC unlocking may have been the culprit.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Put the biggest trans cooler in that you can fit before you leave....You will be sorry if you dont...

Better yet take your camper up the blueridge/skyline drive and let us know how hot the trans gets....

We have little hills out here... Out west is a different story...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I love my f150 and am leaning toward just doing the trip. Sounds like others have done it with similar setups, guess I just need that push over the edge.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have to add oil between oil changes and it runs good why would you not? It's not that far from NC to CA. You only have 125,000 miles, another 10,000 would be nothing.

Rockrash
Explorer
Explorer
If you do go for the new truck, get the 5.4 engine. Gas mileage is no worse and the extra power is there. I have made many trips with mine (225k) and no problems. Now I pull with a 7.3, even better!