cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying a dirt bike on the hitch of bumer pull TT?

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
I want to get a hitch installed on the rear of my TT so I can carry a dirt bike.

The bike is 220lb, probably closer to 240 wet. The travel trailer is a Nash 19B (has a heavy duty off road frame and is ~ 5,000lb ready to go). It also has had it's axle's flipped so it sits about 6" higher.

The truck is a plenty capable QCLB 3/4 Ton Ram with the 5.9 Cummins/6spd manual tranny.

But 300 odd pounds that far over the rear of the TT is going to lower the tongue weight a LOT! I'd imagine I'd need to lower the ball on the hitch to get the tongue weight back where it needs to be. But how much is the question.

Or are there other factors that make this a bad idea? What are your thoughts guys?
23 REPLIES 23

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
That swift setup looks good. The Nash is pretty busy up front with a window and the two 30 gal LPG tanks etc. I'm sure it could be worked around by extending the frame, but it's probably easier to just ditch the topper.

I appreciate all the helpful responses. You guys think of everything!

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
camperdave wrote:
snip...
Ditch the weight distribution?

That would help with the overloaded front axle of the truck BUT it could add additional problems that are even worse. It could overload the rear axle and/or the receiver of the truck. It would not change the tongue weight at all so all the weight of the tongue would be carried by the receiver and truck rear axle plus the weight leveraged off of the trucks front axle. Not a good situation.
Barney

perhaps. But a 20' trailer with a 3/4 ton Dodge would seem pretty safe on the rear axle even without WD.

Here's another option: :B

He had the tongue of the trailer extended by a fab shop.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
camperdave wrote:
snip...

That would help with the overloaded front axle of the truck BUT it could add additional problems that are even worse. It could overload the rear axle and/or the receiver of the truck. It would not change the tongue weight at all so all the weight of the tongue would be carried by the receiver and truck rear axle plus the weight leveraged off of the trucks front axle. Not a good situation.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado71 wrote:
2500 Grunt wrote:
I did this but it is a 30' TT not 19': http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27277716/gotomsg/27279645.cfm#27279645

Nice work. Did you do a before and after measurement of the tongue weight? How much did that gen set weigh?

Also someone else mentioned adding more batteries up front, but there are already 2 30gal propane tanks and two 12 volt batteries, so no real need for, more other than for the weight.

I never weighed only the tongue weight. I also had a 400# Yamaha Raptor 350 on the back of it too (by itself) with my other larger rack. It significantly lowered my tongue weight to the point where I must have the fresh water tank of 60 Gal. full whenever towing but it's not in any way a safety issue. Trailer spec's: 5500# dry and 7800 (GVWR.cat scaled). The Onan is 235# dry and I also have a 5 gal. fuel tank/can that I strap to the rack too. I would put a hitch on the front of your truck. I did that with my Ford Expedition years ago for my yz450F and it worked perfect.
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
stein4 wrote:
put a hitch on the front of the truck to carry the bike

I see this as the best answer. Also with a receiver on the front you have options such as using a winch or having a storage platform when not carrying the bike.

Most 3/4-ton diesels are already maxed out on front axle weight.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
2500 Grunt wrote:
I did this but it is a 30' TT not 19': http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27277716/gotomsg/27279645.cfm#27279645

Nice work. Did you do a before and after measurement of the tongue weight? How much did that gen set weigh?

Also someone else mentioned adding more batteries up front, but there are already 2 30gal propane tanks and two 12 volt batteries, so no real need for, more other than for the weight.

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
stein4 wrote:

I see this as the best answer. Also with a receiver on the front you have options such as using a winch or having a storage platform when not carrying the bike.

Most 3/4-ton diesels are already maxed out on front axle weight.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Looks like it's a bad idea. I will have to loose the topper and put the bike in the bed.

I'll also consider the hitch on the front of the truck. However, I'd probably crash the truck since I'd get distracted thinking about riding the bike lol.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
stein4 wrote:

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the above. Lowering the ball will not change the tongue weight to any big extent.

The whole idea, in my opinion, is a very bad idea. The addition of all that weight, far behind the trailer axles on that small of a trailer, will make the tongue so light as to probably make the trailer un-towable. (is that a word? :W) I would live with taking the topper off and hope it doesn't rain.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lowering the ball will do nothing for tongue weight. Why not put it in the bed?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

stein4
Explorer
Explorer

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
That's an awful lot of weight/leverage to add to a trailer bumper. Most aren't designed to carry much more than a sewer hose and a spare tire. Weakest point is often the welds.

I wouldn't automatically assume that since the frame's heavy duty the same is true of the bumper. You might inquire of the mfr. as to limits there, or at least get the opinion of an experienced welder.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien