cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chapter Operations

bwodom
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where this post should be located, but I could not find a Forum for Chapters specifically. Let me know if there is better/more appropriate place to post.

We are reorganizing our chapter and are looking for input from other chapters in terms of how they operate, particularly in terms of wagon master duties. Most seem to have one wagon master who coordinates all of the campouts. A few rotate these duties, but we are not sure how that works -- seems as if there would still have to be someone to coordinate the individual efforts?

Also, what appointed roles do you have? We have noticed member roles such as Sunshine, Chaplain, Communications/Web/Publicity, etc. I suppose that would depend on size of chapter, but we also want to use those to more fully involve members.

If you represent a Good Sam Chapter and would be willing to spend a few minutes chatting or answering a few questions, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
bwodom wrote:
Not sure where this post should be located, but I could not find a Forum for Chapters specifically. Let me know if there is better/more appropriate place to post.

We are reorganizing our chapter and are looking for input from other chapters in terms of how they operate, particularly in terms of wagon master duties. Most seem to have one wagon master who coordinates all of the campouts. A few rotate these duties, but we are not sure how that works -- seems as if there would still have to be someone to coordinate the individual efforts?

Also, what appointed roles do you have? We have noticed member roles such as Sunshine, Chaplain, Communications/Web/Publicity, etc. I suppose that would depend on size of chapter, but we also want to use those to more fully involve members.

If you represent a Good Sam Chapter and would be willing to spend a few minutes chatting or answering a few questions, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks.

The Good Sam Club section would be the correct place.

I have served one term as treasurer and three terms as president of our chapter. I personally wrote the SOP (standard operating procedure) for our chapter. It was then unanimously approved by the membership.

Our wagonmaster is responsible for organizing and operating all events of the chapter under the direction of the president. As president I always took care of the Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas party, and winter dinners. This gives the wagonmaster a break and allows them to concentrate on the campouts.

Some chapters will assign a volunteer for each event. In that case the person is responsible for organizing and operating all aspects of the assigned event.

Our officers are;
president
treasurer
wagonmaster
secretary
sunshine
historian

You stated you are reorganizing your chapter. I firmly believe you should stay true to the wishes of the founding members as much as possible. Our chapter is 41 years old and we still have two of our founding members active in the chapter. When I wrote the SOP it was a conglomeration of the former constitutions and bylaws and I also sought input from our remaining founding members.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that the "Good Sam" forum in Section One would generate more responses to this post. That being said, I am a Chapter President in Tennessee and have found things work better when you keep them simple. Too many officers are like the too many cooks who spoil the soup. What you need to do is find people who want the job and are willing to step up and "geter done".Our Wagon Master gets suggestions from the entire membership on where we are going and what activities we plan each month at our camp outs. If the members don't care, which is OK, then they will have no say in the planning. Don't over think it, keep it simple and enjoy.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer