cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charge spare battery

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I both use CPAP machines. When we are at electric sites, no problem. When we do an overnight without hookups, it becomes a problem. The CPAP batteries run over $200 each, so over $400 for us both. I already have an inverter big enough to run both machines. I bought an AGM battery big enough to run both machines through the inverter for a night, but am unclear as to the best way to recharge it when I get a plug in site. Can I jump it to my camper battery and let the converter charge it, too (Progressive Dynamics converter), or do I need a stand alone charger? Thanks for your help.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?
23 REPLIES 23

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
K_and_I wrote:
but am unclear as to the best way to recharge it when I get a plug in site. Can I jump it to my camper battery and let the converter charge it, too (Progressive Dynamics converter),

Short answer YES:

Longer answer. Why not upgrade RV house batteries and use them instead of the portale

I suggest at least one (or two) pair GC-2 golf car batteries if you can mount them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the replies. They are Resmed CPAPs and use 24 volts. We do plan to turn off the humidifiers- that is the basis of the calculations I used to size the battery. Things may change in the future, but for now, I just need 1 night's worth of use at a time. We do not boondock for more than 1 night without a plug in between.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
if you don't need the humidifier, turn it off.

This.

And.....when it comes time to replace the CPAPs, get one that actually runs on 12 V and get the appropriate power cords to do that.

As for charging the extra battery, if you are parked at a campsite that has power service, it likely has 30, 50 and 15 amp outlets.
Get a charger in the 15 to 20 amp range and plug it into the 15 amp outlet.

Not only will that solve the recharging problem but then you will have a charger for other things when you need one.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
if you don't need the humidifier, turn it off. My cpap draws less than 8AH per night w/o humidifier, that will last many nights even with two cpap machines. with humidifier, power drain will depend a lot on amibient temps and how much heat it needs.

And, unless your cpap is really old, it will run on either 12VDC or if it is a resmed, 24VDC. for 24VDC there are several dc-dc converters for the resmed.

In reality virtually all the cpaps today run on 12 or 24V, the 120V plug either has a 12V brick inline or the cpap takes the 120V isolates it for safety and routs it to the DC input on the CPAP.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend of mine tent camps when hunting and uses a 12 volt battery for a week at a time for his CPAP. He uses a small solar charger that is for a fence charger. It is only about 5x7 and does just fine.

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
What brand are your machines?

Most brands have a 12v adapter available which would be more efficient.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I don't plan to try to charge while driving, but I understand the isolator concept.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes PD will charge it just fine. Connect in parallel first, then plug in.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can purchase a "Battery Isolator" which will allow the spare battery to be charged when on shore power or from the TV, if setup properly, during travel. But the Isolator will prevent the spare from drawing juice from your RV battery.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint