cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Covered Storage of RV In Driveway

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
got a new truck camper and planning to build/buy a sun and snow cover for it. 13 foot tall clearance (haul canoes on top) 13-14 feet width clearance, 26 feet long. live in Mtns of Colorado with lots of sun and snow and wind. Have Fab skills and tools on hand. Few ideas i tossing around; 1) cable suspended pitch roof with cables going from our garage to 14 foot tall posts, 2) 6 direct bury wood post having 3 on each side topping with galvanized square tube frame and fabric cover, 3) freestanding galvanized frame with pitched roof covered in fabric - this is currently my pick. Fabric will be vinyl coated polyester (think semi cargo cover tarp) that is slippery and will shed snow good. I am leaning towards freestanding frame and staking down with large (2 foot) stakes along a perimeter frame resting on the driveway that is gravel. Problem is where i park it is within my setback so a permanent structure is not possible. Anyone done similar? Know a good outlet for structure fittings/supplies? Tarp material i plan to source form Rochford Upholstery and it can be glued together. This is how the large semi cargo tarps are constructed. I have industrial sewing machine too that i can reinforce or make tie downs, sleeves, etc. as needed. Also have tube bender i could bend up frame, however i want a more square look to match the house. Want this to look nice. Any other experiences or do's don't s appreciated. Not wanting our new camper to fade and have sun damage like the old one we had for 13 years in the elements.
2023 Bigfoot 2500 10.4 TC on 2000 3500 dually duramax
Previous - Bigfoot 10.11 TC, lance TC, King Of Road 5th.
33 REPLIES 33

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just go to one of the metal carport folks and have them send those little guys out to throw one up, they're relatively cheap. Way cheaper than you can cobble something together yourself from pipe and fabric, which frankly will probably look like a cluster and stir your neighbors up into a frenzy of epic proportions lol.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
i have checked codes and that is why not doing a fixed structure - it would be in the set back which is not permitted.

Shelbyfv - get to Minnesota already.... EH!
2023 Bigfoot 2500 10.4 TC on 2000 3500 dually duramax
Previous - Bigfoot 10.11 TC, lance TC, King Of Road 5th.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
You should check with your local codes enforcement. Not all of the options you mentioned may be permitted. Might help narrow down your choices.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just build another bldg,you need more storage anyway.