cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curt Q20 w/roller removal?

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I am trying to get my hitch out of my truck and having a heck of a time. I am either doing it wrong or not using enough elbow grease.

I am trying to remove the head first to make the unit lighter. I pulled the 2 upper pins and removed the caps over the tube. Is there more to be removed before pulling the head? I was under the impression those 2 pins and the caps were all I needed to get the head off.

Then the base just comes out by pulling the 4 pins from the rail correct?
7 REPLIES 7

rmness
Explorer
Explorer
I found it very easy to remove head off Q20 using a flat bar and gently prying up between head and base.

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again guys. I got the head out, I didn't know there was a square pin like thing on the head that went down into the base. After wiggling it started slowly coming out.

I took the head out and then stood over the base and shimmied it to the edge of the tailgate in short lifts. Then summoned my wife and we lowered down into the garage.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Houstonkid wrote:
Thank you guys. I will give it another try. I am hoping my wife can help with the base.

That base is no joke. My dad has one and it was a job for me and him to put it in/get it out of his Ram...I'd recommend investing in winch overhead at some point.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

txdutt
Explorer
Explorer
even getting the frame out with the rollers isn't too difficult, it is awkward though--DW & I wrestled ours out last week--now have to get it back in so I can bring the rig to the house to finish getting it ready for winter....
2011 Ford F250 Lariat C/C 6.7 PSD w/Curt 20K Lb Hitch & rear Timbrens
2013 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2013 Infinity 3860MS 5'er/15.5K GVW/41'
U.S. Navy 1978-1986

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys. I will give it another try. I am hoping my wife can help with the base.

beliveauj
Explorer
Explorer
Just wiggle it and pull.
Jim & Jeanne fulltiming and loving it.
Buddy and Emma (Silky Terriers)
2003 Ford F350 Crew Cab "King Ranch" Power Stroke 6.0
2007 Mobile Suites 36SB3 Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator

raston
Explorer
Explorer
You have it correct. After removing the pins and the 'U' shaped caps the head pulls out. But the rubber damper likes to hold onto the big square shaft so just give a little extra muscle.

Then remove the four pins holding the base to the bed rails and lift. I personally can't lift it out on my own so I get my son in-law to help. As a side note, my base has 4 little rubber spacers, one under each attachment point, which keeps it more quiet. If yours does as well, be sure you don't loose them. Sometimes they stay attached to the base, and sometime they fall off. I just take them off and keep them with the pins till next season.