cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy towing a Subaru

rgreenb831
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing a 2012 FWD Prius on a tow dolly behind my Class C and am looking to tow a car 4 wheels down with the expiration of my Prius lease. I am considering buying a 2015 or 2016 Subaru Forester with manual transmission and wondered if anyone has experienced any problems flat-towing a Forester. Has it been difficult attaching a baseplate and braking system to the Forester?
7 REPLIES 7

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
You should have no problem with that set up. We pull our 2013 Crosstrek, BlueOx baseplate, Roadmaster bars, and the RVI brake2 system. No problems at all, towing with a class c with Ford V-10. Not going to say you won't know it's there, cause you will...your basically towing a 3300 lb trailer. But fear not, the Ford has enough "ooomph" to tow it, and your setup is a good one.
Grumpy

TomHalv
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Subaru Forester that will be fitted with a Demco baseplate tomorrow. I purchased a Demco Dominator towbar and the RViBrake2 system. I'm hoping this all works as well as everyone says it will. My motorhome is a 2015 Allegro Open Road 31SA with the Ford V10.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I've been towing a Subaru for many years. No problems.

I did not install it myself so I can't help you there.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
For those who want a AWD with some clearance, I think Subaru's are going to gain in popularity as toads especially since CR-Vs with the CVT transmissions are out. Love my Jeep Liberty but mileage is really terrible. Have spoken to numerous people who have Subaru's and everyone spoken to likes their car. Some have repurchased which says a lot. It's on my list when it comes time to purchase.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2013 Subi XV Crosstrek, manual of course. Not a Forrester, but a Subi is a Subi. Installed baseplate myself, and if you mechanically inclined, can read and follow instructions, its not hard. Ran my own wiring for lights, have an RVI2 brake system.
Tows just fine behind our class c. Have going on 8000 miles towing with no problems at all.
Grumpy

TX_AG
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2015 manual transmission Forester.
It tows very well. I can recommend it without reservation.

As to the baseplate installation, it was much more than I was willing to tackle on a brand new car. It required removing a good portion of the front end. I had my car dealer install it. They took about 3 hours, which IMHO was money well spent.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Works wonderfully well. Like you said, it must be a manual transmission. I have been towing a Subaru since 2010.

I hired the installation, so don't know how difficult it was.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB