cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dollies in 2015

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
with so many new light cars having the old DAF gearboxes, now called CVT they are not towable. (with auto tranny and keeping the battery connected.
so we were considering getting a dolly when our 17 year old Honda dies.
what do we need to know?
legally do we still need a brakebuddy/evenbrake?
thanks
11 REPLIES 11

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks

DutchStar38
Explorer
Explorer
I have a brake controller in the MH under the steering wheel which also displays info on braking of the dolly. The dolly has its own lights so no lights on car required. I do however, carry a set of magnetic tow lights just in case. I ran over an aluminum fender lost by some other trailer and it pulled the dolly electrical cord out of the connector so I attached the magnetic tow lights to the car, unplugged the dolly and plugged the tow lights in. At my next campsite I reconnected the dolly cord to the connector and verified all dolly lights functioned. Note: When running the tow lights it means that the dolly brakes are not functional.
Ronny & Lynda
Sammy (Brussells Griffon/Maltese mix)
TJ (Micro Teacup 2.1 lbs Poodle)
2005 Newmar DutchStar 3809 DP
2002 HarleyDavidson Ultra

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks.
are the electric brakes powered by the motorhome?
do you have lights on the towed car?

DutchStar38
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a MasterTow dolly for many years and the only thing I had to do was place a short 2 by 8 board UNDER the end of each ramp. My Volvo wagon has a low front air dam and it snaged on the movable dolly tray so the boards reduce the angle and loading/unloading is no problem anymore. I carry the short boards in the back of the wagon or in RV storage area. The MasterTow dolly I have has electric brakes and on numerous occasions they have accomplished their function.
Ronny & Lynda
Sammy (Brussells Griffon/Maltese mix)
TJ (Micro Teacup 2.1 lbs Poodle)
2005 Newmar DutchStar 3809 DP
2002 HarleyDavidson Ultra

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
Indiana (where I live) and most state allow the dolly lights to take care of rear lighting (the KarKaddy has large LED tail lights) and I've never had it questioned in any state I've traveled in, but I try to never drive at night. When I have had to drive late I install a set of mag lights just to be safe.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
anon125 wrote:
thanks guys.
I found that not all cars fit on all dollies. one fella had to try and use 2x4s to get his car over part of the dolly.
so dolly brakes work on their own without a cable from the MH?
do we still need direction signals on the car via say mag lights?
does it matter if the vehicle is capable of 4 wheel drive? like a honda hrv

Yes, you need to "try before you buy" because not all cars will fit on all dollies. Like was said before, dollies have either surge brakes or electric brakes. Surge brakes work without any electrical connection (other than lighting) for the towing vehicle, electric brakes require a controller to be installed in the towing vehicle. Brake Buddy and other towed vehicle braking systems are for towing "four down" only, they will not work properly on a dolly!

To answer the 4WD/all wheel drive question, most 4WD/AWD cars cannot be towed on a dolly. Some can be towed 4 down, but many need to be completely on a trailer.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys.
I found that not all cars fit on all dollies. one fella had to try and use 2x4s to get his car over part of the dolly.
so dolly brakes work on their own without a cable from the MH?
do we still need direction signals on the car via say mag lights?
does it matter if the vehicle is capable of 4 wheel drive? like a honda hrv

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
I've been pulling my Vibe on a Demco KarKaddy SS for 10 years and over 50,000 miles with no complaints. The KarKaddy has surge brakes that work A-OK in all kinds of terrain (see map below). Its ramps fold up and the tongue folds back so it can be stored in about ยฝ its open area. It is 100% heavily galvanized so youโ€™ll never have to worry about rust. Wheel bearings are permanently lubricated. They cost a little more but Iโ€™ve feel itโ€™s been worth it.

Since it sticks out behind a little further you need to watch two things: 1) itโ€™s a little wider than the MH so watch out for the curb when parking. I rubbed the lettering off of the right dolly tire from getting too close to the curb. 1) Leave plenty of room in front so you donโ€™t have to pull away from a curb too quickly as the dolly tongue will swing to the right pulling the dolly and toad over the curb. Otherwise the toad just follows you around and you have to look to know its there.

Some people have complained about loosing the tire straps but if fastened down properly they will never come off. If you decide to go dolly and want to know how to properly strap it down just send me a โ€œprivate messageโ€.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Buy a dolly equipped with brakes.
Brakebuddy not needed.

X2, you do not want brakes on your towed vehicle. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox