cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat Towing Makes my Tires Noisy

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the OEM tires on my '09 CRV last spring with a set of Continentals. I run winter tires 5 months of the year, so if you're wondering why my mileage seems so high on the OEM's, that's why.

The new tires were fine until we towed the Honda from Ontario to Glacier National Park and back - a round trip distance of almost 10,000KM (~6100 miles). Now they are extremely noisy - enough that I've considered replacement again.

I've look at the tire surface, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. What might be causing this, and how do I fix it? This happened with the OEM set too, but not as dramatically. I thought it was a function of their age, but maybe not.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2009 Honda CRV (mini toad)
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 (monster toad)
FMCA #F413428
5 REPLIES 5

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank-you all for your responses. I rotated the tires front-to-back and side-to-side this morning. I will have the alignment confirmed next oil change, which should be in the next month or so.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2009 Honda CRV (mini toad)
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 (monster toad)
FMCA #F413428

mikebo
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with a 2010 crv. You want to have the alignment checked on the crv, both front and back axles. My rear axle alignment was causing the problem. If possible get the front toe set on the high side since towing causes it to go negative. I still get a little noise after towing long distances but it seems to go away after a few miles of driving, before I had the alignment it never went away.
Mike

2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2010 CRV toad

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem on my 2002 CRV with Michelins, they cupped especialy the front ones and became very noisy. I now have perllis and they have not cupped. Keeping track of the mileage towed, rotate them about every 4000 towed miles and they smoothe out some.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are they Uni-Directional? If not, cross'em, side to side. You have supplemental brakes no doubt, and braking can cause a re-shaping of the tread blocks that makes the tires noisy. I'm told, a side-to side cross, reversing the rotation, will wear those odd spots away.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I think tire noise or howling is a result of tread design. I would talk to a high quality tire dealer on which brands have less noise.