cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford C Max info needed!

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up our new C Max last Friday. Have been looking at base plates online and an install video on YouTube. Questions I have are; Where did you have your base plates installed, Ford dealer, RV dealer or did it yourself? Did the same person also do your wiring for the lights? If any of you are in Arizona or nearby, who do you recommend?

Thanks, rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA
17 REPLIES 17

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
rocmoc wrote:
Thanks for the info about ALL RV, will give them a call. ETrailer has a great video of the bass plate install so am considering doing them myself. The wiring gives me a little more concern since it is a Hybrid and has so much trick electronic stuff.

We just set up a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid for towing. It has same hybrid drivetrain and very similar electrical system as your C max. Makes a great toad, we love ours.

I had the Ford dealer do the base plate install. They did a great job, and did so for quite a bit less than what the RV dealer was going to charge (not to mention, Ford dealer was able to jump on it immediately, RV dealer was busy and couldn't for a few days).

I am right there with you, when it comes to the 'trick' electronics these hybrids have! I did not want to touch this vehicle's wiring any more than was absolutely necessary, and thought long and hard before doing any of the wiring. Technician I talked to at RV dealer had recently wired a C Max like yours, told me its wiring was so complicated, he did not want to tap into the rear tailights at all, so he had to put in separate bulbs. I wired my own, and went even less 'intrusive' for tail lights: I use a set of magnetic lights.

One thing you will have to do with your electrical hookup: Wire in a charge wire from MH to your C max. These new hybrids require you to leave the ignition in ACC position when towing (only way you can leave it in neutral), and doing this causes 'bout a 3 amp draw on the battery all the time when towing, even if you turn everything off inside. I verified this with an ammeter, and after almost zapping the battery after just 4 hours of towing, I installed the charge line. Problem solved.

Anyway, PM me if you want more specifics, or if there's any other way you think I can help you. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
mm047 wrote:
I did all my own install on my '10 Mariner. A Blue Ox baseplate with a Ready Brute elite brake system and auxilary lights. Not too hard, but took a while as soom of the directions are strange on the brake harness stuff.

I've had other RV work done at All RV on Grant Rd in Tucson. They seem very straight up, so I would consider them. A Ford dealer is as much a******shoot as any car shop as far as RV related work goes.

Thanks for the info about ALL RV, will give them a call. ETrailer has a great video of the bass plate install so am considering doing them myself. The wiring gives me a little more concern since it is a Hybrid and has so much trick electronic stuff. Thanks again!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

mm047
Explorer
Explorer
I did all my own install on my '10 Mariner. A Blue Ox baseplate with a Ready Brute elite brake system and auxilary lights. Not too hard, but took a while as soom of the directions are strange on the brake harness stuff.

I've had other RV work done at All RV on Grant Rd in Tucson. They seem very straight up, so I would consider them. A Ford dealer is as much a******shoot as any car shop as far as RV related work goes.
Mike M.

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6
2016 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Equal-I-Zer