cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Fiesta

johnbo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Is anyone flat towing a Ford Fiesta ? If so are you happy with it. Thank You Johnbo
4 REPLIES 4

jimjr
Explorer
Explorer
johnbo wrote:
Thank you for your replies. We decided on a Honda Fit 2009 automatic.

A very good choice ๐Ÿ˜‰
Jim -----

SampsonAFBVet

Joyce --- Retired Teacher
Teddy our rescued Yorkie/Maltese

johnbo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your replies. We decided on a Honda Fit 2009 automatic.

Al_Fresco
Explorer
Explorer
I am towing a Fiesta with a 2011 Sunseeker 2300 โ€“ so far, 1,435 miles without any problems. Because my Fiesta was built prior to 7/15/2011, I had my local Ford dealer perform the recommended transmission code update. The readout now clearly indicates when the vehicle's transmission is properly set up for towing. The Fiesta has proven to be (in my experience) a very user friendly and reliable dinghy.

For more on this topic, Google โ€œFord Fiesta dinghy towing.โ€ I think it is reasonable to assume that at least some of the earlier horror stories resulted from the transmission not being properly set in the neutral mode.

SpiKar
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 Fiesta automatic. I towed it behind my motor-home. After towing a few times I had a problem. I followed the procedure that was in the owners manual. Problem was that this was an early model and you did not know if it actually went into the towing mode. Well one time it did not and it fried the transmission and the valves in the motor. Ford repaired (new motor and transmission) the car under warranty and updated the message center to let you know that the transmission was ready to tow. I kept the car for about a year and towed it with out any problem. But after the one bad experience I was always nervous when I would first start out. I finally sold the car to my son and bought an Elantra GT with a manual transmission. I would say if the car is a manual don't hesitate. If it is an automatic make sure the message center has the message that lets you know it is OK to tow. I believe the 2012 and up models have it but if it is a 2011 have the dealer check to see if it has been updated. I loved the car but the one bad experience killed the joy of owning it.