cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generators: Cummins 4500 vs Westinghouse vs. ?????

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I know this question has been asked before, but I did not really find a truly definitive answer.

I am looking to buy a quiet generator to use with my 5th wheel (50 amp with two AC units). I would use just one when I did not need the AC, but would want to have a second to power the AC units, when and if I needed to

I am leaning toward getting two smaller generators to run in parallel. Also am looking for a dual fuel option preferably so i can run off propane if needed.

Getting two Honda 3000 watts would be my preference but the cost is high so I am looking at the Cummins 4500. I have noticed that the Westinghouse 4500 appears to be nearly identical and from the reviews I have read it seems that they are very similar, but I still don't have a solid opinion on which to get.

The reviews I have read are very mixed and I am not sure which ones to believe / trust. It's difficult now with so many fake reviews out there.

From what I have read, many have said that they are the same generator, but they do have slightly different specs. The majority of the reviews seem to favor the Westinghouse, but I find it hard to believe that it would outperform a Cummins brand generator. On the other hand, many have said that the Cummins is not really made buy Cummins and is a cheap Chinese setup that is identical to several other cheaper models on the market...which may be true but I would still think that Cummins would not put their name on it if it were not of a reasonable level of quality.

So I don't know what to believe, nor what to buy.

Does anyone out there have experience or opinions on either of these generators or other similar options?

thanks
Matt
38 REPLIES 38

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it says CUMMINS/ONAN then it's legit. Sad in my opinion to relabel junk. But IMHO it would be best to go with the name brand for sure.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
FWIW, last March we were at an rv Park in New Mexico and I saw a guy messing with his generator. It was a Westinghouse 4500 that was giving him problems with starting, something to do with remote control and choke(?). He was a full timer and was tired of the problems and was going to get a Honda.
But, this could be an isolated case.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I own 2 Westinghouse igen2500 generators and 1 Honda eu3000i generator. I like the Westinghouse generators but in your situation would pony up and buy two Honda eu3000i. That way you wouldn't need hard start capacitor which are expensive. Also there are nice kits to convert them to propane.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Westinghouse has served wellโ€ฆmostly at home during power outages. If you will be moving it around, watch the weight.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I plan to use two in parallel if running both AC units. I know that the single unit would be a challenge to start both (might be doable, but I would not want to chance it).

I am mostly wondering about the brand.

Good point on the Champion company. I am not sure if they have a unit in this power range that is as quiet as the Cummins or Westinghouse.

I have heard that they are the same generator with different colors and stickers, but they actually do have slightly different specs. I think the dimensions and weight are slightly different. I have watched video reviews that claim a difference in performance, but I am not convinced.

Matt

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
afidel wrote:
4500W generator probably won't run 2 ACs, that would be the same as running 1 on a 2200W generator which generally is a failure. Dual 3k inverter gens would do it on gasoline but might have a problem on propane if both units have their compressor kick on at the same time (my 15k AC surges to 25A at startup, twice that is 6kw and most generators are derated for propane).

Actually, it's much different as the startup of 2 air/con units is pretty easily kept separate.
- 1st air/con is easy.
- 2nd air/con starts with around 1200-1500w draw from the 1st leaving 3000-3200w to start the second.
- Worst case a soft start unit on the air/con units would solve the startup.

One issue is feeding both legs of a 50amp @240v rig with a 120v generator. As long as you don't have any 240v appliances, it can be done with an appropriate adapter.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
The Cummins and Westinghouse generators are the same generator made in China. Only differences are color and decals.
Since Cummins is still in business, warranty service is probably better. The Westinghouse brand name was bought by a Chinese corporation to sell various products. Just like the Bell and Howell name or the Kodak name.

Yep.

There's isn't a single part inside that "Cummins" generator that's actually made by Cummins.

It is a typical Chinese generator, with a "Cummins" label slapped on the outside.

If you're looking for a Chinese-made brand that has nearly universal good customer reviews, look at Champion Power Equipment. They are US-owned, and build their own designs in their own factory in China - Excellent customer service out of Santa Fe Springs, CA.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
4500W generator probably won't run 2 ACs, that would be the same as running 1 on a 2200W generator which generally is a failure. Dual 3k inverter gens would do it on gasoline but might have a problem on propane if both units have their compressor kick on at the same time (my 15k AC surges to 25A at startup, twice that is 6kw and most generators are derated for propane).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
The Cummins and Westinghouse generators are the same generator made in China. Only differences are color and decals.
Since Cummins is still in business, warranty service is probably better. The Westinghouse brand name was bought by a Chinese corporation to sell various products. Just like the Bell and Howell name or the Kodak name.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes