cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodyear Marathon tires are not good tires

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
I bought Maxxis trailer tires in 2010 for my trailer. I even went with one load range higher to be safe. In 2012 I had two sidewall punctures in 150 miles and my only option for two new tires were Goodyear Marathons.

One of those Goodyear Marathon tires failed badly yesterday. The tread was worn all funny and the tire had a large hole in it with the steel belts exposed. I have TPMS on the trailer tires so they never ran low on pressure and I stopped right away when the TPMS went off. The tire only has like 12,000 miles on it so the tread shouldn't be so worn. The three remaining Maxxis tires still look practically like new with twice the miles on them. I don't see anything wrong like a bent spindle, bad suspension, or hot hub that would cause the tire to wear funny.

I may have hit something, but still, the tire shouldn't look like the tread is nearly gone with the relatively low miles. I'll see if my road hazard will cover a new tires. If not, I will be getting another Maxxis trailer tire.
30 REPLIES 30

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It takes a lot of miles to run the tread off until belts are exposed...just saying. I think this situation is aggravated by the TPMS systems. An owner doesn't have to look at the tires, just believe that the TPMS is going to save your bacon.
In this case it did but there is little to go on to diagnose why the tire failed or when the unusual wear started. I'd bet a buck that any new tire mounted in that position will experience the same wear.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton