cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
You might think this is a weird thing but I love this Bird Song Clock . I already have the birdsong identiflyer and then I saw this clock. Told Santa I wanted it and I've had it for about four years. It wakes me up gently and if I happen to sleep through all eleven bird songs, the last one is a rooster and he won't stop until I hit the snooze button.

We like it so much we always pack it in the van. Well, a couple of weeks ago I just went ahead and ordered one for the van so it's one less thing I have to pack.

It's a very soothing way to wake up. Some may think it's corny but we like it. Runs on batteries ( 3 AAA) and mine last about a year.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Nurse Deb, I have that same caddy! I love it, too!

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Ice tea, pre-measured: 3 tea bags-sugar-pint zip lock. I keep 6 to 10 bags of these ready and just poor one into gallon pitchure of hot water and sweet tea is always avaiable....Tomm
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

Nursedeb
Explorer
Explorer
I found a "picnic caddy" from Lilian Vernon website that I just love. It holds napkins, paper plates, silverware, cups, catsup, mustard, salt and pepper, all without blowing off of your table. I keep one in the camper, and one for outside. They sell for less than $10 each.

http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?pdId=2463&name=Picnic+Caddy&parentCatId=5&catId=21&subCatId=107
Nurse Deb
One husband
2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
2007 Starcraft 2406

crappie_hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Alot of good ideas thought I would tell some of mine.
1. Put Lexan (like Plexi glass) on screen door. So we can keep door open while ac is on.
2. Installed a 110 outlet above silverware drawer. Took a 50 extension cord and cut 8 feet off of it and took the plug off the end and wired it into the outlet. Then drilled hole in floor to get the cord outside. Left about 6 inches hanging and put a male plug on it. Then took the remaing 42 foot and put a female plug on the end that was cut off. Use extension cord to plug into main power supply at campground. So when DW wants to use an electric skillet or the Heater in the winter time does not trip the breaker everytime when the ac comes on or using the microwave.
3. Took the Queen size Fred Flintstone mattress(like a rock) out and bought a Full size mattress and cut the plywood down 3 inches on each side. 3 inches does not sound like much but you can deffinetly tell the difference in the amount of room you have now.
4. Installed sewer hose pvc pipe under basement so now the hose is only 2 foot from outlet.
5. Put closet maide in closet for DW. She like to fold her clothes instead of hanging.

Aggiepi
Explorer
Explorer
As a new motorhome owner, I want to thank everyone for their "tips" this is a great thread.
Edward M.
1996 National Sea Breeze

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Great tip, thanks,

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I am a preschool teacher and parents order books (through me) from Scholastic Book Clubs (It's similar to Weekly Reader). One of the parents ordered a book almost identical to this one but Scholastic has titled it Fifty State Plates. The orders came in yesterday and I showed it to my husband. We both asked each other questions about the state capitals and state flowers, etc. There was a LOT we didn't know.

The book is very compact and only about 7-8 inches wide and about 5 inches high. Would fit in the glove box.

As soon as I saw it I knew that I had to order one for our van. And I thought I would pass the info on to you.

whitingcl
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that a tension rod going across the shower works great for hanging up my shower matt...that way it does not sit in the bottom of the shower and keep the wet under it. I hang it and it drips dry after I have squeeged the sides. You can also hang your towels on it if needed, wet swim suits, lots of uses for it if you can not hang wet items outside.
:B
2006 F350 Diesel Superduty SB 4x4
5K Reese Slider
2005 Carriage 33CK 4Slide w/FP
2006 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Kicker, SB 4x4
5k Reese Slider
2005 Carriage Compass 33CK 4 Slide w/Fire Place
"It's insane to be sane in an insane world" clw 72
Me-Vicki-Scooter & MarTeeni :C ^..^ ^..^ :C

hybridist
Explorer
Explorer
Bump - since it's not a sticky.

hybridist
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. Oscar Wilde

DH, DD, Me

Nights Slept: (2009: 3 and counting) (2008: 24) (2007: 35)

2006 Shamrock 232
1994 GMC 1/2 ton
Reese WDH & Sway Bar
My Webshots

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all, great ideas...

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

whanner
Explorer
Explorer
cakepa wrote:
Anyone else have trouble with worn out or weak, (what do you call those things anyway) gizmos that hold the hatchback of cars open and some of the outside cargo doors open on an RV? I got tired of the door hitting me in the head when I was getting out the electric cord or the holding tank drain hose and came up with an idea to hold them without looking for and buying new ones. I cut a few pieces of 1/2 inch plastic PVC water pipe (very cheap at the hardware store) to the right length and then made a little less than a 1/4 inch slot down one side with my table saw so that I can slip it on. Now when I raise the door, my invention falls into place and holds it up. And when I want to close it, I just slide the "pipe" over the worn out cylinder and shut the door.

any pictures? sounds like what I'm looking for.
06' Ford F-350 Power Stroke 6.0L
07' Forest River Sierra 375 QBQ
Wife and 2 Kids

reset
Explorer
Explorer
We do a lot of boondocking in the desert SW, and here is what we've found helpful.

Save an empty coffee can with lid and put dirty plastic utensils in it. This eliminates poking holes in wally world trash bags and making a mess.

Painted two gallon jugs flat black and it heats our water for washing hands, dishes, etc. The temps get to between 125-135F.

Painted a few wide mouth canning jars & lids flat black and use them to bake potatoes/veggies, etc.

HookedOnCampin_
Explorer
Explorer
disposable ice cube bags

these things are great, make as much ice as you need without carrying a buncha hard plastic trays. About the size of a quart ziploc bag, divided into cube shapes.

:C Dad, ๐Ÿ˜‰ Mom, :R 16 DS, :B 13 DS, ๐Ÿ˜› 11 DD
Just busy enjoying the country that DH is serving!
'03 Dodge Ram 1500
'05 Fleetwood Pegasus 290RLS
Meet My Family

BoyceInPa
Explorer
Explorer
Just bumping these great ideas back to the top of the list. Keep the list going.
2007 Dutchmen Cub 23BH (Finally Home 4/9/07)
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty Ext.Cab