cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

health insurance while work kamping

sevrenemho
Explorer
Explorer
Me and my husband want to full time work kamp. We are in our 40s so we dont qualify for medicare yet. Are there any other younger workampers, and what did you do about the insurance? The health care coverage I have been looking up are sooo expensive with very high deductables because they are basing it on what I make right now and not on what I will make workamping. Thought and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
12 REPLIES 12

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Either the Healthcare Network or Private Healthcare.
we have catastrophic healthcare with an accident ryder.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
One reason for me to work at my employer until I am at least 55. At that point, I can stay on their healthcare plan. Pay the same preimus with the same deductibles... A big savings!
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Brodie1234
Explorer
Explorer
""""ALL"""" of you Pharmancy Scripts .... $8.00 month (each). Saving Hundreds!

Brodie1234
Explorer
Explorer
I might add --- there are "VA Out Patient Clinics" all over the country! I was shocked when I saw how many!

Brodie1234
Explorer
Explorer
I know this might not totally apply to all --- But, Anyone that has been Honorably Discharged from the Military (not just Retired From Military) can qualify for benefits from the VA

Couple of years ago - I fell on tough times after a lifetime of great benefits. I must say the VA has been a GREAT experience - I have ZERO complaints!

For you VETS - go get what you DESERVE!

Oh, it also qualifies as an OBAMA Care Plan!!!!

wags999
Explorer
Explorer
If you work for KOA corporate campgrounds, after a period of time you are eligible for health insurance from KOA. This includes workampers. You have to be a full time worker, even if you switch campgrounds during the year, but, this is only with the corporate owned campgrounds, not franchises.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
To add to the very good comments about Medicaid by Westernrvparkowner. Since Medicaid are state run programs, you also need to look closely at whether/what coverage you would have out of state.

On the subject of subsidies, be aware that that could change depending on the Supreme Court's decision on subsidies in states using the federal exchange.

If you plan on changing your domicile to one of the popular no income tax states, be aware that SD has very limited offerings for fulltime RVers that are not on Medicare.

I agree with the comments about the affect on Social Security and if your income is low, you probably won't have a lot to spare to contribute to an IRA.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
With the Affordable Healthcare act, you get a subsidy on both your premium and your deductible if you make less than 200% of the federal poverty level which would be around $31,000 for a couple. If you are talking true workamping, you will probably have no problem making less than that. Another poster was correct, use your estimated 2015 income, not what you made in 2014.
If you earn more than 200% but less than 400% you will still get premium subsidies, but the subsidies for the deductible go away. Therefore, it might be advantageous to limit your income if you are going to be right around that threshold amount. The deductible amount soars when you cross that limit. If you are comparing plans subsidized plans, always check the silver plans, since that is what the coverage is benchmarked against and often the subsidized silvers have lower premiums and deductibles than plans with higher or lower color choices. (It's the government, it doesn't need to make sense)
Something else to consider/be aware of, is if you make less than 100% of the poverty level, or are in a state that expanded the Medicaid threshold, you will have to enroll in Medicaid and not have private insurance available for a discounted amount. That might limit your choices of doctors and might have severe impacts on your future estate since Medicaid payments are subject to clawbacks from your estate. If you plan on working in a state other than the state you reside in for insurance purposes, be sure to have a plan with nationwide networks, generally a PPO plan. Be sure to doublecheck, because after February 15th, you can't change until November.
A bigger question to you is WHY would you want to fulltime workamp at your age? If it is traditional workamping (low wages, labor for site, etc) you are going to effect your career track and retirement severely. In your 40s you are very hirable, in your 50s, not so much. Your 40s and 50s should be your peak earning years. This is when you should be investing for retirement. This is the high earning quarters that determine your Social Security benefits. If you are looking to bop around for a year or two, maybe. If you quitting the traditional workforce and want to make a life out of working and traveling, resign yourself to doing it until you die, because you won't have enough retirement income to fully retire when cleaning restrooms and checking guests into RV parks isn't quite the adventure at 65 that it was at 45.

sevrenemho
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you dan-nickie, I dont know if it gave me that option but I will for sure double check

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
You may be doing something wrong when getting your quotes.
ON the healthcare website you should enter your expected 2015 income, not 2014.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator note....I will not tolerate flaming on the forums I moderate. So don't bother posting if you don't have something positive to contribute.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the deadline for Obamacare is Feb 15.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman