cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can we tow our 1998 Cardinal 5th wheel with F350 FX4 DRW?

Macmcy
Explorer
Explorer
New to everything, did a ton of hopeful research and bought a 1998 5th wheel M28RKB and a 06 F350 FX4 DRW. We were shopping for a hitch (will need a B&W RVK 3000 or 3500 companion hitch since we have a turnover ball in the bed), when we realized we may have made a big mistake! Will we be okay with overpass height clearances?- our trailer seems really tall already. Sitting level it is about 11'6". AND we didn't know about bed clearance concerns... Until now. To get adequate bed clearance, we are guessing we'll need to adjust the hitch up, but then won't our trailer be way too nose-high for traveling?

The trailer came with a Reese hitch, which of course we found out we can't use with our turnover ball setup. But to experiment, we set the Reese hitch in the bed. The ground is not level where the trailer and truck are sitting, it slopes up towards the truck. But we can't move the trailer to a more level spot either with no hitch! So with that in mind, we lowered the weight of the Cardinal on the truck. The bed rail height was 53, changed to 51.5 with the weight. The pin box sits about 15.25 high and we have about 5" of space between bed rail and overhang. The nose of the cardinal is up, doesn't look terrible but it is up.

We originally looked at the B&W 3500 hitch but it's height starts at 16.25 and goes up to 18.25". Maybe we better go with the 3000? It's height is 14.25 to 16.25, to keep the nose from going any higher, but will the bed clearance work?? We've read that somewhere between 5 and 7" works, but then some say 7" is a minimum. Has anyone been able to go up a size on trailer tires with this Cardinal model?

We've read that many folks have had trouble getting the taller Fords to work at all for their 5th wheels and so we are wondering if we need to buy a different 5th wheel or if there is even one made that will work with our truck bed height. We don't have the budget for newer model trailers that might be more compatible with higher fords. Changing out the spring blocks in our truck with all of the other modifications that would be needed also sounds expensive. Not sure what to do or who to ask!!
5 REPLIES 5

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow a 96 jayco designer and I was having the same problem. I was more concerned about towing level than i was about bridges. The back of my truck sat high and made my fifth wheel ride high in the front plus I was pretty marginal on bed clearance. Raising the hitch made things worse for level towing. I decided to put 3 inch lowering shackles on the trucks rear suspension. It was cheap and easy to do. The camper still rode slightly high but was much better than before. The only drawback is the leaf springs rides real close to the helper springs so I hear some squeaking when I drive real slow empty. Once I get on the road I hear nothing. A minor annoyance if anything.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

Vannnce
Explorer
Explorer
13' 6" is the legal limit. thats what semi's are. as long as your under that youre good. (with the exception of "off the beaten path" bridges that may be lower) So keep and eye on signs
'02 f350 ECLB with some goodies. B&W/ Companion
2002 fleetwood prowler 32R-D
Full time RV'er, currently in Houston, TX

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just checked on clearance for interstate bridges, and main roads are 16 feet and urban roads are 14 feet. You should have not problem. Any lower bridges are always posted as to actual height.

I have the height of my trailer measured,(about 11'-7" to top of AC) and post 12'-0" in a easy place to get to for reference.
Dr Quick

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an '05 FX4 and a Reese 16K slider and I don't think the ride height is different than your '06. I don't think the bed is extremely high, although I have the hitch set to its lowest position. I could probably go up one hole on the pin to get my FW to ride more level (its slightly nose high). I don't think 11'6" is very high, and I also think you could probably have the FW raised to get it level, if necessary. Almost all interstate bridges are at least 13'. You also want to make sure you have 5-6" of bed rail to bottom of FW. A dealer told me, and I believe him (this time), that it's too difficult to determine your hitch requirements without just hooking up, so that's what I recommend you do.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the RV world!

The DRW 2005 and later Fords have plenty of cargo capacity, and will make a great tow vehicle.

Some say that the 6L engine is a huge problem, and while they are right, the problem has a really easy fix, install a engine coolant water filter. Napa FIL 4070 and kit to install it is FIL 4019. This goes into the 5/8" heater hose line. You probably will need about 3' of heater hose to install it, so that you have one heater hose cut off, and going to the filter, while the other goes from the filter to say the engine connection where the first hose was cut from.

The 16.25" high hitch seems about right. This will give you 6" between the trailer and pickup bed.

You also have the ability to install the Reese hitch in just about any pickup. You might check with a RV retailer to see how, and how much. What can you do with the Reese hitch if you do not use it? Sell it on Craigslist or trade it in for labor or something towards installing the new hitch?

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com