cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Rating Question

jokaj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me Class C with a hitch in the back. The hitch has a sticker rating for Trailers: Max gross trailer wt 3500 lbs, Max tongue wt 350 lbs. and Dinghy tow Max gross trailer wt 5000 lbs, Max tongue wt 100 lbs.

Usually tongue weight is ~10% of the max trailer weight but for the life of me, I don't know why towing a dinghy would be a tongue weight of 100 lbs. I was going to dolly tow my car using a dual hitch so I could bring my bikes.

Can anyone explain to me what's going on? Thanks!

Joe
3 REPLIES 3

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
jokaj wrote:
Thanks for the response. My main concern is whether or not I can tow a dolly and have a bike hitch on the same hitch. The 100 lb tongue weight would essentially prevent me from carrying my bikes........
can you get a bike rack for the toad?
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

jokaj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. My main concern is whether or not I can tow a dolly and have a bike hitch on the same hitch. The 100 lb tongue weight would essentially prevent me from carrying my bikes........

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
4 down towing has nearly no tongue weight. The hitch is rated to tow a toad 4 down not exceeding 5000lbs.

If your tow dolly will have less than 100 lbs of tongue weight with the car loaded, you should be good to go.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized