cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible black tank odor from toilet

pittbull29
Explorer
Explorer
I'm full timing in WI right now. Hadn't been having any trouble with black tank odor. Fiancé (who is in NC) said I should get rubber gasket to put between sewer hose and pipe into ground. I'm in mobile home spot so it doesn't fit tight. Owner of park did it for me. A couple of days ago started having slight dirty odor. Knew I had emptied it recently. Decided to empty then emptied grey tanks. When I walked back inside the stench thru whole trailer almost knocked me down. Now when I flush I am getting horrible odor from toilet. Has 2 small bottles of blue stuff in there. Help!
28 REPLIES 28

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
While you're waiting for answers OP, dump a 1/2 quart of bleach into the black and the gray tank.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bad air admittance valve ....then STINK would be coming from inside bathroom sink cabinet where the AAV is

STINK coming from toilet.......POOP PYRAMID in black tank due to low water usage when flushing toilet
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
pittbull29 wrote:
Did som research and found pic of air admittance valve and description of problems associated with it being stuck or broken and that sure sounds like what it is. Only problem is I can't get it off. Lol. Will have to see if I can get a friend or neighbor to give me a hand with that.

Dang... That's crazy that it's on so tight you can unscrew it. Should be hand tight. Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy.

I suppose you could use a set of channel locks on it, but it shouldn't be screwed on that tight. Once you get it off, just do it hand tight.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
pittbull29 wrote:
Honestly Walaby for some reason I can't see the pic posted...

Go into the forum settings and change it to allow pictures.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pittbull29
Explorer
Explorer
Did som research and found pic of air admittance valve and description of problems associated with it being stuck or broken and that sure sounds like what it is. Only problem is I can't get it off. Lol. Will have to see if I can get a friend or neighbor to give me a hand with that.

pittbull29
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly Walaby for some reason I can't see the pic posted and don't have any idea what I'm looking for. Ended up having a sick coworker so haven't had time to do anything since I put in ingredients for GEO treatment.

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
Odor has nothing to do with hose connection at sewer, if your valve is shut there is NO odors coming into tank from sewer.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
........make sure you have a dip in the slinky just before it goes into the rubber gasket and drain pipe.......

I'd be careful doing that in freezing weather.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
You seem to be avoiding the air admittance valve possibility. Is that because you've already replaced them?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

pittbull29
Explorer
Explorer
Doing the GEO treatment for odor. Going to try and borrow a ladder from a neighbor tomorrow to check vent pipe and also going to check where seal was put around hose. Water and sewer hookups are actually under trailer so I'll have to move a couple of bales of straw. Wish me luck.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go outside and make sure you have a dip in the slinky just before it goes into the rubber gasket and drain pipe. This will act like a P trap under a sink and prevent any sewer gases from backing up into your rig. Make sure the slinky dips down and then back up into the pipe. A small amount of liquid will remain in that area and stop any odors or gasses from backing up into your rig.

I suspect that when someone upstream or even possibly downstream in the campground sewer system empties their tanks you are getting a rush of "bad air" from the underground pipes. The P trap made by putting it in the end of the slinky hose will stop that problem.

The reason I suggest this is because the problem started after the work was done on your sewer system and not during it or before. Before the work was done the gases could escape around the opening between the pipe and hose. After it was done, they could only go back up the hose and into your rig.

Hope this helps! 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect it may have something to do with this gasket between the hose and the sewer pipe.
We had a problem similar to what you are saying and put some black tank deodorizer in and filled the tank and let it sit a bit and then dumped it. It works better to pull the trailer around so it sloshes a bit but you are stationary.
I also put a whirly bird on top of my roof vent and it works very well at keeping the smell out when it it windy. You can get them at most rv stores or even Walmart. Hope this helps nothing worse than that smell in your RV.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

pittbull29
Explorer
Explorer
Only open to dump. Not the wind. I was wondering about gas backing up because of gasket between hose and pipe in ground to sewer.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have also replaced our air admittance valves. Bad odor when they stop working. We have one under both of the sinks.