cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House Batteries

beetleman
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to figure out why my house batteries are not charging when it is plugged into shore power. The batteries will charge when the engine is running. The microwave and other 120V items will run when plugged in. I have checked all the GFi outlets. Checked battery connections. I have not found anything blown fuses with the converter. The only local rv tech is booked for several weeks. Anyone have and idea what I can check?
7 REPLIES 7

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Converters are not expensive. Simple to install also. Surely if the converter is at fault this is a very easy DIY job. Trouble shooting looking for loose connections or blown fuses is not hard either.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
House batteries not charging on shore power.. See line diagram

Shore---Breaker box---Converter--Fuse----Batteries, fuse box, other 12 volt stuff

Suspects:
Trippped breaker
Loose wire breaker box (I often say many RVers have a few screws loose.. THESE are the screws I am speaking of).

Bad converter

Blown reverse polarity fuse.. THIS fuse may be one (or both) of the two right hand fuses on your fuse panel, or it may be in the converter. and there can be up to 3 of them in aparallel. Usually 30 amp ATC fuses.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a battery disconnect switch? If the battery is disconnected, it won't charge.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

beetleman
Explorer
Explorer
I will do both suggestions in the morning. Currently we are have a thunder and lightning storm.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the converter is getting it's 120V AC input. Generally it's on one of the AC breakers.

Test the battery voltage at the posts with a voltmeter with and without the converter running and report back the results.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Could I trouble you for some info on your rig.
But it sounds like the battery charge function of your converter is shot. Can you get to the converter and check the charging circuit output when plugged in. Please post model of your converter
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind