cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to tie a car to a car carrier

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I have had many RVs in the past but I just bought a car carrier to tow my little Mazda Miata on a proper flatbed trailer. As most unis in the past were trucks/5th wheels I missed not having any transportation once I got where I was going other than the class A I have now.
Does anyone have any information to show me how to properly secure the car to the carrier?
2000 Bounder 31M Class A~oldie but goodie
Acme EZE Tow Dolly towing 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
7 REPLIES 7

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
The "over the tire" style straps I ordered would not work easily with my Miata.
Just not enough clearance with the 17" wide tires to put them on and off very easily.
So I went with HD ratchet straps through the mags and they are very easy to install and remove.
The car sits all the way forward on the 16' trailer I bought and the tongue weight comes in at half the rated hitch value of 250# with the max rated at 500#, just right for me.
I was thinking of covering the car while towing but I am afraid that the cover would rub the paint. The RV has a skirt installed on it so rocks don't get it.
We do enjoy driving the car having had many sports cars over the years. I started with a 1959 TR-3 in 1963.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Scads of You Tube videos on tying a vehicle down on a trailer. U Haul has several. Search "axle straps" and view some of the tie down videos linked to those sites.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Check the Miata forum

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Go to link===== awdirect .com click on "straps" and use what the professionals do.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
KeninAZ wrote:
Does anyone have any information to show me how to properly secure the car to the carrier?

While not what you asked, if your Miata has a MANUAL transmission, you can flat tow it MUCH easier than you can trailer tow it. If automatic transmission, you are SOL.
I did tow 4 down with a Toyota at one point and just did not like it. That is why I bought the trailer. Backing up is much easier too.

PM me if you want details.

For what you DID ask, I sometimes tow an Austin Healey in an enclosed trailer.

I fashioned a steel frame cross member for the front and for the rear of the Healey. Each cross member has a single point loop in the center. I use a short chain with hooks to the trailer frame in front and a screw type chain tightener to the trailer frame in the rear. This pulls the car chassis down to inhibit the load "bouncing".

The car loads and ties down in seconds rather than minutes.

I've been from Dallas to both coasts with it and the Healey has never moved.

IF I were to trailer my Miata, I would use the same system.

Tim

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
tow dolly video
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
KeninAZ wrote:

While not what you asked, if your Miata has a MANUAL transmission, you can flat tow it MUCH easier than you can trailer tow it. If automatic transmission, you are SOL.

PM me if you want details.

For what you DID ask, I sometimes tow an Austin Healey in an enclosed trailer.

I fashioned a steel frame cross member for the front and for the rear of the Healey. Each cross member has a single point loop in the center. I use a short chain with hooks to the trailer frame in front and a screw type chain tightener to the trailer frame in the rear. This pulls the car chassis down to inhibit the load "bouncing".

The car loads and ties down in seconds rather than minutes.

I've been from Dallas to both coasts with it and the Healey has never moved.

IF I were to trailer my Miata, I would use the same system.

Tim