cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

insalling lights on a 2011 jeep wrangler

wheel_estate1
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone tried to install seperate lights to tow a jeep wrangler in the newer tail lights instead of putting in the blocking diodes?
Rick & MaryAnn
'06 Phaeton
and Cody " the wonder beagle"
8 REPLIES 8

lrgbas
Explorer
Explorer
cooltech is the way to go, I ran the wiring thru the drivers side frame rail, very tidy, took about 1 hour for complete install, easy job.
1999 Hurricane 29D

lrgbas
Explorer
Explorer
cooltech is the way to go, I ran the wiring thru the drivers side frame rail, very tidy, took about 1 hour for complete install, easy job.
1999 Hurricane 29D

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
wheel.estate wrote:
thanks to all, good pics on the instuction from blue ox, and good news that they fit. Thanks to you too thunder mountian, you showed me another option i did not know about and i may go that route! the sales guy at cooltech was VERY knowagable!! he was able to make sense about the whole battery disconect thing!

You are welcome for the info. That is what this forum is all about. RVers sharing information and experiences. If you have the factory tow package on your Jeep, just follow the Cooltech instructions about the "yellow" wire. If you have a dealer or aftermarket tow package, things get a little more interesting. Took several tries to get it right on my 2012 Rubicon.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
wheel.estate wrote:
has anyone tried to install seperate lights to tow a jeep wrangler in the newer tail lights instead of putting in the blocking diodes?

COOLTECH is the way to go for the JK series Wrangler. Just plug it in the driver's side tail lights and install a connector on the front. Plug and play, no diodes, no nuttin.... Click it....COOLTECH
I did recently help a friend with an older Jeep in which we just ran a harness to the rear with a 4 pin connector attached and then mounted some LED lights on a hitch haul that just plugs in. He uses it like we do to haul bikes or extra cargo, so it's needed when being towed anyway. One could use a light bar of angle iron as well. He also can plug it in to his tow lights as well if he desires them to work when not being towed.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wheel_estate1
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all, good pics on the instuction from blue ox, and good news that they fit. Thanks to you too thunder mountian, you showed me another option i did not know about and i may go that route! the sales guy at cooltech was VERY knowagable!! he was able to make sense about the whole battery disconect thing!
Rick & MaryAnn
'06 Phaeton
and Cody " the wonder beagle"

stuckinthesand
Explorer
Explorer
I put lights in my 2012 Wrangler, plenty of room in there, no problem.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out the Cooltech wiring harness. Just plain easy to install.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

ronfisherman
Check out Blue OX Base Plate Instruction for the Wrangler. It shows how they recommend installing the lights.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD