cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter generators (power in the paddock)

t500hps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure a few of you have faced the same dilemma I'm looking at right now:

I have a toyhauler with a 13.5 BTU AC on the roof that is used at the track when racing. While power is available, there are not very many poles and most people can't get power without arriving the day before.

I need roughly 2,500 watts to run the AC and a couple lights (frig/heat/HW are all propane).....and I already have a Honda EU2000.

So my options are another Honda EU2000 Companion to parallel with the one I have, or a larger inverter/generator to power it all. I've found a Champion 3100 watt unit that is getting good reviews. Cost is a factor since anything I buy won't be used a lot but I don't want junk either. The Honda 2000 is about $1,100 with a $60 cord needed, the Champion is cheaper ($830) with nothing else needed. Backup power at the house is a non-issue since I have a large unit for the house.

Is 2 lighter units easier to deal with than one heavier unit? Noise from these 2 is nearly the same. If I buy the Champion I could sell the Honda however, I realize the Honda(s) is the better unit. Yamaha's or other 3,000 watt units are also considered but I'm getting into the $2,000+ range for any of those.

Suggestions or experiences?
5 REPLIES 5

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Do you ever have need for an inverter? A Victron Multiplus will add and combine power with the honda to get the air running and then recharge the battery. Temporary additional loads could be carried by the battery. This would allow the use of one honda and probably an extended run fuel tank. OK this is not exactly the easiest low cost solution but saves the cost of a second honda. Inverter can also be used alone if needed during quiet hours.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Another option is to move to a hybrid inverter. That will allow the battery bank to pick up the start up surge without stalling out the Honda, and even allowing the use of the eco switch.

t500hps wrote:
I'm sure a few of you have faced the same dilemma I'm looking at right now:

I have a toyhauler with a 13.5 BTU AC on the roof that is used at the track when racing. While power is available, there are not very many poles and most people can't get power without arriving the day before.

I need roughly 2,500 watts to run the AC and a couple lights (frig/heat/HW are all propane).....and I already have a Honda EU2000.

So my options are another Honda EU2000 Companion to parallel with the one I have, or a larger inverter/generator to power it all. I've found a Champion 3100 watt unit that is getting good reviews. Cost is a factor since anything I buy won't be used a lot but I don't want junk either.

Suggestions or experiences?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Yamaha 3000. Weight is an issue. Takes 2 to load in back of truck. We use it once a month at motorcycle races (7 months a year). Usually runs 24-30 hours each time. It runs our 15,000 btu ac fine and will usually go 10+ hours on a 3.5 gal. tank of gas.

I don't like the weight, but I do like the long run time. Had no issues with unit.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
2 units are a mixed blessing, easier to move but more effort to maintain.

Since you already have one I would lean towards a second matching unit.

We have a single yamaha 2400 that we use. If you didn't have the honda already, I would suggest something in the 2400-3000watt range depending on your ability to lift and move the unit.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kregli
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 2 Honda solution which works fine - do make sure one is a "companion" if you want to run the A/C. I have to lift the generators out, so two is easier. With a toy hauler you would presumably roll the generator down the ramp. In that case I like the one bigger generator solution. Just my free advice which is worth what you pay.
Keith
2015 Grand Design Momentum 388m
2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW