cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there a quiet water pump?

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been increasing the amount of boondock camping we are doing so I started carrying a 35 gallon water tank in the truck. Currently using a drill pump with intentions to buy a 12V transfer pump some time soon. But that got me thinking... The water pump in our trailer is the typical loud rattling pump. Not a big deal during the da, but a toilet flush in the middle of the night will wake me up (pump is in a compartment in main bedroom). I figured there must be a "high end" and obviously more expensive pump I could install in the camper and then repurpose the existing pump to become my transfer / backup. Is there such an animal? I'm happy to pay a premium for something smooth and relatively quiet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just trumping here, but you might want to look at the mounting of your existing pump. If mounted solid to a surface, the vibrations of the pump will act just like a magnet in a speaker. Any flex in the lines hooked to pump? If not, the lines can carry the noise, vibrate another "speaker"
Stand of and look at your rig from the side. Is your fresh water tank below the floor of trailer? Is trailer floor below floor of TV bed? Trailer have a gravity fill for the tank, where you can pour water in, or must it be under pressure? Assuming gravity fill, can you slide a hose in far enough to get below the floor of TV? Even if you need a short piece of smaller hose to fit in the fill, just screw together so it doesn't leak. Hose from bottom of transfer tank, into fill. Might need a little air pressure in top of tank (fresh water? Bell, just suck the hose!) to start flow, but siphon can move water pretty easy

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typically it is not the pump that makes the noise, at least not for me. It is the vibration and knocking sounds from the supply lines. That is best fixed with some insulation material.