cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep TrailHawk set-up for towing

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
 photo ad3ef53e-416d-4c05-ab62-3384cd1ae339.jpgTook our brand new Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk to our local Camping World, at American RV in Grand Rapids, MI, to have base plates, wiring and an InvisiBrake system installed. 12 hr job total so we left it for a couple days. We had Roadmaster system with our Wrangler and went with those base plates again.
The installation of the base plates necessitated the removal of the red tow hooks and will require use of the horizontal tow bar when actually being towed. We didn't require it with the previous Jeep Wrangler but had it in a labeled box in the garage. Which is where the red tow hooks now are stored. We have ordered some rubber covers from Roadmaster for the receivers on the front of the TrailHawk, just for asthetics. They were $14, incl tax/shipping.
The InvisBrake fits nicely under the driver seat. The power seat mechanism caused the control box to extend maybe 1-2 inches behind the driver seat, but the floor mat in the back seat covers it and it is barely noticeable there. There is a monitoring panel that goes in the motorhome dash, and that was installed while we waited when we returned with the coach to pick up the TrailHawk. Camping World did a fantastic job with that install also.
On the 70 mile trip home with the TrailHawk towing behind the coach, we couldn't even feel it back there. Smooth as could be. Braking smooth also. We are very happy with the whole system and especially happy with our Camping World. They did a great job and were as helpful as could be.
We are once again 'Happy Campers" and we are now ready to roll !!!!
I didn't think to take any close up pics of the front of the TrailHawk, but will do so soon and post.
BTW--Camping World is running a installation special. We saved over $600 on the labor. Whooeeee!
โ€œLight hearted I take to the open roadโ€ฆ Healthy, free, the world before meโ€ฆ The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.โ€ - Walt Whitman
2 REPLIES 2

et2
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
Congrats Summerhouse,

I am so glad you had a good experience with CW as I will be having our Cherokee Limited setup at a CW in NH mid April. They will be installing the SMI Air Force One. You just can't beat the $39 installation.

How did they install the brake/turn signal lights? Did they use diodes? Any issues? I have heard of some issues.

Just had the Blue Ox put on ours a week ago. I don't miss the red tow hooks at all. General RV did ours. 4 hour install. We just use the brake buddy and switch to each vehicle. I just bought rubber stoppers at the hardware store to put into the tow pin holes. Total cost about $2.50. They stay in just fine and match the base plate color.

I decide not to use the diode light kit. We purchased wireless tow lights instead.

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats Summerhouse,

I am so glad you had a good experience with CW as I will be having our Cherokee Limited setup at a CW in NH mid April. They will be installing the SMI Air Force One. You just can't beat the $39 installation.

How did they install the brake/turn signal lights? Did they use diodes? Any issues? I have heard of some issues.
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014