cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low Salt / No Salt

Don___Barb_Bogu
Explorer
Explorer
Got out of the Hospital last Sunday. Another bout of almost a dirt nap. When your told to lower or remove salt from your food pay attention. And no cheating no reward for being good for a week. As it was explained to me one trip to In-and Out could be my last. No or low salt food is boring. I am not a happy camper....
37 REPLIES 37

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
Dirt Naps are real boring.

And, real long.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:

One of my favorites now is to season everything form meats to fried potatoes with McCormick's Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple. Wonderful seasoning!

This does sound delicious. However, a check on the ingredients leads to: "SUGAR, SALT, BROWN SUGAR, SPICES, ONION, GARLIC, MAPLE SYRUP, RED BELL PEPPERS, ORANGE PEEL, PAPRIKA, SAFFLOWER AND SUNFLOWER OIL, MOLASSES, CHILI PEPPER, CARAMEL COLOR, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR, AND NATURAL FLAVOR." Note that salt is #2 on the list.

Be sure to read the labels if you are on a serious salt-free diet. We all want you to stay healthy so you can keep posting on rv.net!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
After a few years on a low salt diet I like the taste better without salt. I never ate potato chips until the wife got Utz no salt, now I like potato chips.

But they are still fried potato chips which you should avoid. I agree however with the no salt allows you to taste the veggies or meats which actually taste great.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a quad bypass 20 years ago and was told to go on a no salt diet, along with a no fat diet ( Dean Ornish ). Tried it for a while but it was too hard to maintain. Do what you like, but I would suggest moderation in all foods, increase exercise, drink water instead of sodas including diet sodas. Lose weight if you are heavier that you know you should be. Eliminate cakes, cookies, chips, and any processed foods. DO NOT go to any where advertising all you can eat and push away from the table. It can be done, it's not terrible, and you will feel better.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
After a few years on a low salt diet I like the taste better without salt. I never ate potato chips until the wife got Utz no salt, now I like potato chips.

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. Had to go on low salt diet due to high blood pressure. You will get use to it but like others said when You go out you can really taste the difference. I was shocked on how much salt is in food when you start looking. One hot dog no bun is at least 400 mg.then add the bun and god for bid if you like chili. You are already over your intake for the day. Good luck.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
No or low salt food is boring
Dirt Naps are real boring.
I live a no salt life and am used to it. In fact I find most prepared foods over salted and avoid them.
You will adapt
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm borderline and don't necessarily monitor my salt intake. But if I have control over my own food, I have found that using different seasonings (other than salt) works very well and even makes food more tasty.

One of my favorites now is to season everything form meats to fried potatoes with McCormick's Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple. Wonderful seasoning! Works great on everything from home made hash browns to pop-corn. Adds a nice smokey zing.

Here's a list of some of my favorites that we use instead of salt:

McCormick's Grill Mates:
- Belgian Style White Ale
- Chipotle & Roasted Garlic

McCormick's Italian Herb Seasoning (grinder)

Webber:
- Vegie Grill Seasoning
- Steak'N Chop Seasoning

St. Elmo Steak House Seasoning

You can't control the salt in restraunts, but when fixing yourself, seasonings are your friend.

My father-in-law was diabetic and he told me to use seasonings instead of salt. I resisted that for years, even knowing I was borderline. Then one day, I tried the Smokehouse Maple on pop-corn, and a new chapter in my life was born!