cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP detector goes off... Need help finding leak or source

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is discussed often but I'm stuck.

5th wheel sunny brook 2003
Lp detector has been replaced recently date is june 2012 on backside

At 3am the lp detector went off. I pushed button and opened door to vent. Went off. 15 minutes later it went off again. I pressed button and vented it went off. 30 mins later it went off again. I opened tank compartment door and smelled what I thought was propane. I cut off both tank valves and vented rv, and it didn't go back on.

Today I opened both tanks and started spraying down each fitting, tank, and anything propane related with soapy water. I followed the tube to water heater and sprayed. I followed tube to behind the fridge outside vent door. I removed futnace vent door and sprayed. I opened stove top and sprayed all propane line connections.

Nothing bubbled at all and at no time did I smell gas.

Here is something though. I just sanitized the rv with 1 cup bleach in 42 gal water. I drained and refilled though the water still smelled and taste like chlorine. I took a shower and flushed using this water. Could chlorine water have caused this?

I thought about buying the $30 sniffer tool. I want to avoid an rv shop at all costs. Where should I go from here? Btw it was 40 deg outside when alarm went off and 75 deg when I checked for leaks. Any help or advice appreciated!
25 REPLIES 25

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a propane gas dealer around, they will usually come out and check for leaks.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
I'm suspecting hose connection gaskets at the tank maybe. That is not an area I can get soapy water into to check.

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
I had 3 people sniff around the tank compartment and tell me they smelled gas. I too smelled a slight gas smell. I can't get any fittings to bubble...

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
Mine recently went off when my battery wasn't staying charged. I found out that my converter went bad a few hours later when my lights went out also. My co detector is battery powered. I agree with the other post, buy another plug in co detector just to be certain. Or, just borrow the co detector from home. You have one at home correct?
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
kyle86 wrote:
I want to avoid an rv shop at all costs.

Really ? How about the cost of a couple of funerals. :E

I understand what you are saying and why but be realistic.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Check the battery's (if it's not hardwired) power or just replace it.

Since you already did the bubble test and I assume you did it for all connections (I use full strength dishwashng liquid detergent for this not watered down but maybe I'm overly cautious)

Attach a new battery operated detector next to the existing detector no mater how it's powered.

Check the wiring of a hardwired detector.

The above is what I would do in that order, first.

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming there is not a leak, pets, low voltage and dust can set them off. I had one that would act like yours until I vacuumed it with a brush attachment. It was about 3 years old at the time. it was fine after that.

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
have you checked your battery

Batteries are new. Fully charged. And i built a box and have a vent hose

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Roy. Low voltage isn't the issue since it was plugged in. The fact that it went off 3 time in 1 hour worries me. At no time have I smelled propane inside. When I turn the stove on, I smell it though.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
have you checked your battery

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always had a problem with the detector in that I never know if it is a low voltage alarm or the real thing. Mine seem to go off all the time for one reason or another...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS