cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MorRyde IS & Disc Brakes

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for feedback from other 5th wheel owners who have invested in the suspension/brake package offered by MorRyde. Is the upgrade worth it? We will be travelling long distances once I am fully retired next fall, and after visiting their company in Elkhart my wife feels that the improved braking power & smoother ride will be worth the extra 8-9 grand, but I am not too sure. Are there other options we should consider? BTW, a long RV road trip up to Alaska is in our plans within 2 years. We are thinking of getting the work done next summer BEFORE the Alaska trip. All responses will be appreciated. Thanks!

Updated info: 2021 Alliance Paradigm 310RL 5th Wheel
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Supercab 7.3l Gas/4.30 Axle
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL
31 REPLIES 31

fj12ryder wrote:
Fisherguy wrote:
I can't imagine the price for converting a trailer to that system... :E
Think of a lot, then add another decimal point. ๐Ÿ™‚

My last install was in 2019 and it was $6400.00 all in for both, that included install, and Timken bearing upgrade. I understand that the prices have now jumped, and Morryde was booking out as far as Q3 2023 or later for installsโ€ฆ

The other benefit is that the measure your tow vehicle and trailer in several places before the install, they make the proper subframe and add it so the unit will be 100% level once install is complete.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I added this Dexter system to my Boat Trailer. I know something like this is on my Dad's RV "Chevman" Larry sold him. I am betting a much less expensive way to get er dun.

Youtube look at 4:10 it talks about the Torflex axles.

"2019 FOREST RIVER ROCKWOOD 8299BS Signature Ultra Lite Island Kitchen Fifth Wheel Colorado RV Sales"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Fisherguy wrote:

It is pricey but if you are a full timer I'm sure it's worth it to replace the inadequate OEM suspension.
For a weekend warrior the OEM stuff may do.
But if you are putting on a lot of cross country miles a more robust suspension is a good idea.
I cannot say enough good things about my disc brakes vs. the OEM brakes.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fisherguy wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I value the discs more than the suspension. If money is easy... may as well do both.

For perspective I self installed disks and upgraded my springs. Neither is MorRyde brand.

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
As you can see, not only do you gain braking power, you eliminate possibe future issues by getting rid of the axle tube, springs, shackles, equlizer, u-bolts, shackle bolts, ectโ€ฆ.

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

Morryde also offers cheaper versions, like the Sre 4000โ€ฆ our second redwood fifth wheel came stock with that and we seriously contemplated keeping that and just adding the disc brakes. Ultimately we ended up with everything. The SRE 4000 gives you I believe four or 4 1/2 inches of travel. Your coach still has all of the original other suspension parts including springs bolts shackles spring perch
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Quadcab wrote:
IS = Independent Suspension. A more controlled, comfortable towing experience from what I've heard. The Disc Brakes are going to happen - Safety First - but the suspension upgrade is what I am struggling with. Just not sure if it will be worth the extra 5 grand or so. I know people who have put shocks, timbrens & even sumo springs on their units instead of swapping out the entire axles/wheel assembly. Any other thoughts???

Here is an option, or at least to look into.

Not sure of your axle ratings, Roadmaster has an independent axle system for up to 8,000# axles. https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/travel_trailers/comfort_ride.php

I will say this though, looking at the frame the MorRyde system uses, it beefs up the mounting on the bottom of the RV style I beam frame. They are reinforcing the main frame with their cross mount system. As the camper turns, that reinforcement helps take the stress out of the main trailer frame. They have to do this as their independent wheels require it. The main frame reinforcement comes along for the ride.

The Roadmaster does give you independent wheel suspension, and I suspect at a lower cost, however the spring hangers and the way they mount to the bottom flange of the I beam is a week point, pending how your hangers are mounted and what cross reinforcement the manufacture added or didn't add. Frame web cracks on the I beam frame can/will come in time from the hangers not reinforced. Not sure what your hanger setup looks like, just mentioning this difference between the two concepts. That said, you can have your hanger mounts beefed up if they did not come that way. MorRyde sells the X Factor cross member brace as part of the reinforcement upgrade. You may still need lower flange to hanger reinforcement added, it all depends if what you have now. I have seen many large heavy 5'er with the same issues the larger TT's have. One would think the RV industry would learn and just plain make the hanger mounts better from day 1.

I have not had either of those suspension systems, but I have dealt with several hanger and I beam frame cracks from the way hangers are mounted with lack of reinforcement. So I am always on the look out on suspension systems if they deal with the flexing RV style I beam frames.

Hope this helps,

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
IS = Independent Suspension. A more controlled, comfortable towing experience from what I've heard. The Disc Brakes are going to happen - Safety First - but the suspension upgrade is what I am struggling with. Just not sure if it will be worth the extra 5 grand or so. I know people who have put shocks, timbrens & even sumo springs on their units instead of swapping out the entire axles/wheel assembly. Any other thoughts???
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL

As you can see, not only do you gain braking power, you eliminate possibe future issues by getting rid of the axle tube, springs, shackles, equlizer, u-bolts, shackle bolts, ectโ€ฆ.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

This is the 3rd larger Fifth wheel that we have had the IS and discs onโ€ฆ My wife is real good at not wanting to spend a buck , especially on things that she does not care to know how they workโ€ฆ. After the 1st one, she said to me that โ€œ she would never want to own a fifth wheel without the IS and discsโ€โ€ฆ. thats huge coming from herโ€ฆ..

our 2016 Redwood was totaled ( had the IS ) and when we got the 2020 from the factory, we had the IS installed before we did anythingโ€ฆ.

We do leave out coffee maker and salt and pepper on the counter during travelโ€ฆ

Just our opinion..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Canโ€™t comment on the IS, although what does that mean? Torsion axles instead of leafs? I see the advantage for longhaulers, lots of miles. Otherwise itโ€™s a โ€œmehโ€ upgrade for the occasional user.
Brakes, if you had a good diesel with a good exhaust brake Iโ€™d say the brakes would be a nice addition but wholly unnecessary and more complicated (obviously more complicated which = more $).
Given youโ€™re planning on pulling that unit through the biggest mountains on the continent with a gasser, makes having trailer brakes that are overachievers somewhere between a very nice luxury and possibly absolutely necessary.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had the MORryde IS and disc brakes installed on two fifth wheels. As full-timers who travel a lot (rather than staying in one place) I wouldn't be without it. If my Google search pulled correct information, the GVWR for your fifth wheel is 10,122 lbs. - a bit on the light side for even the 7K MORryde suspension units. If I were in your shoes, I'd have the disc brakes installed and pass on the $6,500+ for the IS.

Rob

EDIT: OK - apparently you updated your RV info while I was typing. What I said, but the decision on the IS is yours. We really like it.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a heavier RV the IS is the ONLY way to go!!! Left unit is 8k and the other two are 7k.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know of a couple of people that had the IS installed, and they say you can leave a glass of wine on the counter while traveling, and when you arrive, it's still standing no matter how reckless you drive!
No, really, you have a nice new Alliance? I'd go for it. And disc brakes are a no brainier. But I understand there's a long wait in line for the IS at Morryde.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights