cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorcycles and Tj wrangler on car hauler.

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
Okay my current setup is a 35 ft 5th wheel toy hauler. Behind a 2011 drw Ram. 6.7 diesel Long bed. Was planning on trading in toy hauler for a truck camper. We want to have the jeep and an RV and I am not a fan of triple tow. Now planning 2017 road trip we want to have our motorcycles and Jeep with us.

Plan was to get between a 10-11 foot camper with one slide, then put jeep and bikes bikes on a car hauler. Bikes are a Harley low rider s and a sportster. So about 1100 pounds together. I current have a 16 foot car hauler but I don't think I can get both bikes on there with the jeep safely, so I was thinking about selling it and getting a 20 foot open hauler. I was planing on putting both bikes on the front of the trailer and jeep behind them.

I am aware I need a special hitch to extend past the camper, but wanted to ask if my plan sounds correct. What do you all think? It's a lot of moving parts I know. Thanks for your help.
22 REPLIES 22

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
DaveF-250SD wrote:
A 20 foot car hauler with a gvw of 7,000 pounds will weigh about 2,200 lbs. empty, with payload of about 4,800 lbs.. Might be touch and go for the Jeep and Harleys weight wise. Might have to get a 10k gvw 20 foot equipment trailer instead. In either case, it seems a lot of weight to put on an extension from your receiver. Make sure the extension can handle the weight of everything back there. Better safe than sorry.

Good call on the trailer I didn't think of that. I need to go get jeep weighted. Stock is 3800 pounds, but I am far from stock. I need to research the extensions better and see what I am dealing with. It almost seems easier to trade in her car and get a 1/2 ton for her and have her pull the jeep and we keep the big 5er. Don't think she will go for that for 2200 miles one way though.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of GCWR...you may want to think of an enclosed or partially enclosed trailer a little longer to gain some storage and take weight off the truck bed...just thinking.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
A 20 foot car hauler with a gvw of 7,000 pounds will weigh about 2,200 lbs. empty, with payload of about 4,800 lbs.. Might be touch and go for the Jeep and Harleys weight wise. Might have to get a 10k gvw 20 foot equipment trailer instead. In either case, it seems a lot of weight to put on an extension from your receiver. Make sure the extension can handle the weight of everything back there. Better safe than sorry.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
Twomed wrote:
You might want this in the truck camper section...pretty sure some folks are already doing this. Depending on how folks open the forum for reading you may get more looks from somebody that can give you a good answer that way. Sounds like good way to travel, truck should be fine. I thought you lost rated tongue weight when you extended with a stinger, but maybe you found one that does not.

Good call, thank you

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked up weights of my truck. I'm not sure what gears I have, I will have to check as that changes the tow capabilities significantly, but not the payload.

Assuming I have 4:10s
Payload: 4720
Max Trailer is 21000
GCWR is 29,100

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
You might want this in the truck camper section...pretty sure some folks are already doing this. Depending on how folks open the forum for reading you may get more looks from somebody that can give you a good answer that way. Sounds like good way to travel, truck should be fine. I thought you lost rated tongue weight when you extended with a stinger, but maybe you found one that does not.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for response.

Trailer will have two 3500 pound axles so 7k on trailer. Jeep is about 4500 pounds but not totally sure with gear. Truck is a dually and my current 5er is about 17k. Had it weighed loaded with 5er and four adults and and couple motorcycles in back and was at 23k total. If I remember right 7k on drive axle 12k on trailer and 4 on steer axle. I could be wrong. It did fine and I believe Cgvw is 30k. I know the new set up will be lighter, but was a little concerned putting an unknown amount of tounge weight with the camper and the extended hitch. I know the correct extended hitch will not cut tounge weight capabilities.

Impossible to buy the car hauler then try it and return if it doesn't work. Can't really get a bigger truck. Lance 992 should weight 3800, empty.

Anybody have a guess what my tounge weight will be with bikes and jeep? Should I put jeep backwards to counter bike weight infriont of the axles? Think air bags are needed?

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to get some real world weights. The Jeep plus the bikes plus dry box full of gear will need to be within the trailer's payload rating. Then there is the camper, again forget guesstimating. By the time you are loaded ready to go you will be heavy and possibly over the trucks GCWR. Err on the side of caution.