cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice on toy hauler swaying on freeway

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
I would greatly appreciate any feedback and advice please. My TV is a 2012 Toyota Tacoma DBL Cab short bed 4x4 with a 4.0 V6. I just bought a toy hauler that is 22' long and weighs 3600#s dry with a TW of 620#s. I pulled it home 350 miles in my Dad's 3/4 ton with no issues using just the hitch ball mount. Tonight I picked up my rig from E-Trailer where they installed the break controller and WD Hitch. The hitch looks to be installed correctly, but I'm a total newby and could be mistaken. Both the truck and trailer look to be pretty level, although the front of the TV may be a little raised. Normally my truck is raked and now it sits level.

On the way home I was fine until I entered the freeway and at about 45 mph I started to feel the trailer walking around behind me. It spooked me enough that I exited the freeway to take surface streets
home.

I know it will all change after I load my gear and a 980# Harley in the back. But, should I be getting sway at 45 mph on the freeway with a properly installed WD Hitch? Is it possibly due to not enough load in the back of the toy hauler? I was thinking adding more weight to the rear would only increase sway?

I realize I would be better off with a different TV, but I really, really, wan to keep my Tacoma if I can.

Help!!!!!!!
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T
86 REPLIES 86

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
09KZMXT266 wrote:
JConatser wrote:
Thanks Irak for finding the correct GCWR number... it was the one that kinda threw a flag and made me insert the "assuming" statement.
To OP: FWIW, even with the larger GCWR number, I think you're making a wise decision to go for a bigger truck.

I also didn't like the 2500 rpm at 60 mph.\

lol if you think 2500 is bad, you would be crying at 4k, where i sat when pulling with my subaru for 25k miles

2.5k simply means your out of overdrive, which is totally expected

if your uncomfortable fine, but i would load it weigh it and try to get it dialed in before changing vehicles, but thats just me

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raptors are nice VERY nice.... But they don't have much more payload than your taco. The payload is take by all the off road goodies.

Ecoboost, 4x4 or 2x4, max tow package.... In any cab configuration you want. Would be an ideal tow vehicle.

Thanks and good luck
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
JConatser wrote:
Thanks Irak for finding the correct GCWR number... it was the one that kinda threw a flag and made me insert the "assuming" statement.
To OP: FWIW, even with the larger GCWR number, I think you're making a wise decision to go for a bigger truck.

I agree.:) I loaded up my riding lawn mower, compressor, and what ever else I could grab quickly and loaded it into the back of the VRV. I also went up one link on the chains to lessen the weight on front axle. Around town up to 50mph it's fine. I got on highway and when even 1 ton Ram trucks flew by me the trailer moved a little. I also didn't like the 2500 rpm at 60 mph. Just kinda felt like the truck was laboring. So, I'll have to say goodbye to my Taco. ๐Ÿ˜ž Off to the Ford dealer for an Ecoboost, or maybe a 6.2 Raptor? ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go with a F150 I highly recommend the Max Tow package...
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

JConatser
Explorer
Explorer
Ameri-Lite 24RB
2003 Chevy 1500 Ext Cab, 5.7L
Equal-i-zer Hitch

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
lrak wrote:
JConatser wrote:
Mainly note, however, that your current Total weight of 8700+ is already greater than the maximum Toyota calls for (8100); once you add your 1000 lb. motorcycle, plus probably another 300 - 800 lbs of "stuff", you're gonna be 2000 lbs or so over their maximum limit.

Bottom line, (assuming the Toyota numbers I found are correct) you need a bigger truck.

FWIW, GCWR with tow package is 11,100. 8,700 is less than 11,100.

Correct, about the GCWR of 11,100, but he was correct about too much weight on the front axle. Actually, I was going to go from dropping 3 links to two on the WD Hitch. This should correct the FGAW especially if I put the Harley in the back.

I have basically decided to buy a new truck. Probably a 1/2 ton F150 would be enough for this toy hauler. But, before I do get the new truck, I'll throw some stuff in the back of the trailer to see how weight in the back affects things. If it helps, I may reconsider, but I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

lrak
Explorer
Explorer
JConatser wrote:
Mainly note, however, that your current Total weight of 8700+ is already greater than the maximum Toyota calls for (8100); once you add your 1000 lb. motorcycle, plus probably another 300 - 800 lbs of "stuff", you're gonna be 2000 lbs or so over their maximum limit.

Bottom line, (assuming the Toyota numbers I found are correct) you need a bigger truck.

FWIW, GCWR with tow package is 11,100. 8,700 is less than 11,100.

JConatser
Explorer
Explorer
I looked on the web and found the Toyota weight specs for your vehicle. They are:
Gross Front Axle Weight = 2755
Gross Rear Axle Weight = 3110
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = 5450
Gross Combined Weight Rating = 8100
Max Trailer Weight without WD = 5000
Max Trailer tongue weight without WD = 500
Max Trailer Weight with WD = 6400
Max Trailer tongue weight with WD = 640

Note that after you made your link adjustment you're putting more weight on your front axle (2880) than the Toyota recommended max (2755).

Ameri-Lite 24RB
Equal-i-zer Hitch

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
JConatser wrote:
09KZMXT266 wrote:
... I guess that means I had 800 lbs of tongue weight which was 150 lbs. more than the max Toyota says which is 650 lbs. ...

Hitch receivers have a "with" and a "without" WD rating... is the 650 with or without WD?
Note also that your TT's tongue weight "is what it is" regardless of how you adjust your WD hitch. A WD hitch does not change a TT's tongue weight; what it does is distribute that weight between your TV's front and rear axles, plus your TT's axles. So, if your TT has a tongue weight of 800 lbs, and if your TV's hitch receiver is rated for 650 lbs (with WD), then you are over it's limit by 150 lbs---regardless of how you adjust your WD hitch. While the angle a trailer is setting relative to the ground will change it's tongue weight slightly, the significant way you change it is by how you load it.

I believe Toyota's tow package assumes you have WD Hitch for the tongue weight of 650.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
just me wrote:
Short wheel base on the truck with a poor weight on the tongue, will drive you nuts like you have experienced. If you think this is bad with this truck, waite till you load the toys. Was the 3/4 ton a long base truck?
Jeeps were notorious for this kind of ride, short wheel base.

Yes, the3/4 ton was a long bed dually.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

APT
Explorer
Explorer
His tongue weight is 800 pounds plus whatever the WD bars transferred back to the front axle and TT axles. A WDH with front axle weight returned to unhitched weight puts reduces the amount of TW carried by the to about 80%, thus 1000 pounds of estimated TW.

650 pounds sounds right. Etrailer has only Curt/Draw Tite with 550 pound ratings with WD. Verify what your sticker says, something like mine, 600 WC, 1000 WD:

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

JConatser
Explorer
Explorer
09KZMXT266 wrote:
... I guess that means I had 800 lbs of tongue weight which was 150 lbs. more than the max Toyota says which is 650 lbs. ...

Hitch receivers have a "with" and a "without" WD rating... is the 650 with or without WD?
Note also that your TT's tongue weight "is what it is" regardless of how you adjust your WD hitch. A WD hitch does not change a TT's tongue weight; what it does is distribute that weight between your TV's front and rear axles, plus your TT's axles. So, if your TT has a tongue weight of 800 lbs, and if your TV's hitch receiver is rated for 650 lbs (with WD), then you are over it's limit by 150 lbs---regardless of how you adjust your WD hitch. While the angle a trailer is setting relative to the ground will change it's tongue weight slightly, the significant way you change it is by how you load it.
Ameri-Lite 24RB
Equal-i-zer Hitch

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
Short wheel base on the truck with a poor weight on the tongue, will drive you nuts like you have experienced. If you think this is bad with this truck, waite till you load the toys. Was the 3/4 ton a long base truck?
Jeeps were notorious for this kind of ride, short wheel base.
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone see the OP's trailer? It essentially a cargo trailer with living quarters. A bit different than a conventional Toy Hauler.

I do agree he is going to need to tweek the hitch and get it weighed when the bike goes in it, but it should still have no issues!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You still need a bigger truck. All these weights are without the 1000 pound toy?

Steer axle 320 lb. increase
Drive axle 450 lb. decrease

That is a poorly adjusted WDH. Etrailer actually installed it correctly if the front axle weight was returned to unhitched weight. You have more than 800 pounds of TW, probably over 1000 pounds. That's too much for your receiver.

Adding a motorcycle will change the tongue weight and require readjustment of the WDH again. I highly recommend a TV that is not as grossly affected by the trailer balance. That means 3/4+ ton.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)