cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pests and dangerous plant hazards in Arizona

rlyons
Explorer
Explorer
Going to do our first extended trip to Arizona this winter as a CDN Snowbird. We spent 3 weeks in Apache Junction in 2000 and met the lovely Choa (Jumping) Cactus but what other pests and plants does a novice snowbird look out for in Arizona during the winter months?
rthomaslyons
22 REPLIES 22

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Check TV each time you get back into it. Something might get in while it is parked. Cchek door and window seals, and make sure air filters are in place in fresh air inlets.after being parked, check for sharp cacti growing under tires.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
What does this have to do with Tow Vehicles?:h
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I remember at a rest area a sign warning of poisonous insects.
bumpy

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
look before you sit. don't wear shower shoes unless you're in the shower. avoid blanket picnics. you might get lucky and hear some coyotes yipping up a hunting party, but you probably won't see one. rattlesnakes den up in cold weather and go semi dormant. scorpions like old wood piles. black widows make a distinctive web you won't miss unless you're poking around in the dark. cacti is indeed everywhere.
and last but not least. there is a bug about the size of your fingernail called "blister bug", and believe me, you don't want to find out why. it won't kill you, but it sure does hurt. but I've only ever encountered one in my life and I'm 73 and have lived around those nasty little critters most of my life. ๐Ÿ™‚
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

mmccwill
Explorer
Explorer
Have lived in Arizona for 45 years & still living -- No Valley Fever, seen about 6 Rattle Snakes, Black Widow Spiders are not a problem if you don`t go under your house, never seen a Javelina (Peccary)-- Cati will stick you, just be wary -- Bill Willard

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Coyotes aren't a problem - they steer clear of humans. Beware of javalena. We live near a mountain preserve in N Phoenix and last Saturday I was out for my early morning walk and was chased by an aggressive javalena. I ran into someone's front patio and the javalena followed me there. I suspect it had babies nearby. I have lived in AZ for 40 years and 20 years of that near a mountain preserve, and this is the first javalena I have even seen, so they're not common, but there are a few around.

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
A good rule to go by is; Never put your hands where your eyes haven't been first.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You may run into just about any of the desert pests...snakes, scorpions, Black Widow spiders, coyotes...etc. Cacti of all sorts. Just have to be aware. If something is on the ground lift it up carefully to make sure no critters are hiding underneath.

In certain parts of Arizona during windy conditions you may contract Valley Fever (also goes by Quartzsite Crud and other names) if you aren't careful.