cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem setting up my WDH

shaner82
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to get the WDH setup for my trip starting tomorrow and I've ran into a bit of an issue. There's 8 chain links on my bars. Only the last two will fit. I would never be able to get the other chain links installed.

On the very last link, the bars are not level with the trailer tongue as you can see in the pic. Also, in this setup the rear of the truck sits 1" lower than normal, but the trailer is level

If I go to the 2nd last chain (the only other one I can get on), then the bars are parallel to the trailer tongue, the truck sits exactly the same height as normal, but the trailer is clearly not level (the front end is too high).

I don't know what to do at this point. Do the bars have to be parallel with the trailer tongue? If so, then my trailer won't be level.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

6 REPLIES 6

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, you need to go by the front wheel well measurement of the tv only (without the trailer hooked up) and adjust the hitch head angle to return the tv to within 1/2" (or possibly the same measurement per your tv owners manual).

Follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3
You will not be able to snap up the chains/WD bars unless you raise the truck and trailer together with the tongue jack. then hook up the chains and lower it back down. if you are setup correctly you should have the front of the truck back to within half an inch.

A power tongue jack will make it much easier!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Seems you have the head tilted too far back.. Youll need to readjust that..

Getting the rear nof truck back to level is wrong. Your taking too much weight off and mostlikely adding weight to the front of the truck..

You must start off with wheel well measurements of the truck not kooked up.

Then you need to get the height of the tongue of the trailer leveled so you could set the ball height.

Take a washer out of the head to get the tilt up. ( How many you have in there now?)

Your only goal is to restore the front of your truck to original height. The other goal is to keep trailer level...

What this vid on how to set height..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTQ5ML-O4B0

What this one on bar set up too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqZ4WhQIG-0

This is a good one to watch to get a general idea on leveling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymcB2yeZr4s
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Hook the trailer to the ball raise the truck up so me attach the bars let the truck back down

The head might be tilted back to much as /we'll l

After connecting raise the jack up past the point where the truck is level. Then connect the bars. Now let it down and see....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Hook the trailer to the ball raise the truck up so me attach the bars let the truck back down

The head might be tilted back to much as /we'll l

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
If I go to the 2nd last chain (the only other one I can get on), then the bars are parallel to the trailer tongue, the truck sits exactly the same height as normal, but the trailer is clearly not level (the front end is too high).
Do this. Then lower the hitch head assembly on your hitch shank to level the trailer. If you need to lower it more than one bolt hole, it looks like you will have to turn the shank to point down instead of up like it is now.