cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prodigy P2 or P3 ???

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
I did a search, but did not find the info I was looking for. Over the years, since 1990, I have Tekonsha brake controllers. I started with the voyager, then to the prodigy once I moved to the 5th wheel. Never had any trouble out of them. When I upgraded my 3/4 ton truck, I used the onboard brake control and at first it worked well, then started having trouble. I replaced it with a prodigy P3. I sold that rig in 2014, and got out of camping for a couple of years. I am now back in with a small rig. I installed a prodigy P3 in the current truck. Yesterday while towing trailer to dealer for recall, I noticed the P3 display was not lit. I assume no brakes, but with a lite camper it was not and issue for a short drive. The fuse was not blown. The controller was warm. I looked online and it seems there have been quite a few issues with P3s dying. I think my first prodigy was a P2, and never had any issues with it. Any recommendations or experience similar to this with P3? P2 or P3? It appears they have the same functionality, but the P2 does not the fancy display of the P3. I will try for warranty replacement, but I am not sure if I saved the sales receipt, of course it is in the camper.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH
18 REPLIES 18

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
No trouble with my P3 for at least 6,000 towing miles. I would get same if it fails.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used P3 for 4 years before getting truck with integrated brake controller. No problems, sold to a friend, not heard of any problems from him. Tekonsha has great customer service I have read (never had to use it myself).

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've been using the P-3 for nearly 8 years with no issues. YMMV.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the P2 series with my trailer setup from 2008 to 2011 with no issues whatsoever. Then I got my 2010 F150 truck with built-in brake controller...

I think my son-in-law got my old P2 controller... Don't know what happened to it haha...

I like the P2 over what I am using now with on-board F150 brake controller. When just pushing the brake pedal the new one stops sending DC voltages to the brakes when you are under 10MPH or so. It is all intergrated with the truck computer setup... I liked the idea of the trailer brakes locking up when sitting at a stop sign on a small incline. I have to now reach down and hold the finger knobs to keep my trailer brakes engaged when stopped...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS