cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling with a Ram 2500

Missouri_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a trip to Virginia from Missouri to see my son who is stationed there. Its 1100 miles and will be the longest trip I have taken with my new set up as far as my Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4L with a 4:10 gears. What am I to expect on MPGs? It only has 2800 miles on it as well as with the heavier truck do I need the WDH from my travel trailer or just go without it. I needed it on my 1500 silverado but curious if I need it now. Trying to plan out the trip with a camp ground in Kentucky to split up the 16-18hr drive.

TT length 38ft, and loaded and passengers weight will be at 8200lbs.

Thank you for all your input!
2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab V-8 Hemi 6.4l-4:10 gears
2018 Crossroad Sunset trail
21 REPLIES 21

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I got the 6.4 Hemi and 3.73's in my 2017 3500. I get 9.5-10.5 depending on terrain and I stay at 65mph most of the time pulling my 10,000 pound (Loaded) 5th wheel. I'm taking the Western NY to Florida trip in November for the first time this fall. I hope to get 9mpg overall but like Grit Dog said...gas mileage/prices won't dictate whether I go or not.

Use the WDH The extra 2 minutes it takes to hook it up and unhook it is well worth the peace of mind.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Missouri_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I will give it a shot, most likely I may just keep using the WDH, my other camping friends swear by them and state the ride is much better especially switching lanes. Thank you all for your input. Its my first Dodge Ram and non-diesel for I only tow 10-12 times a year now, and I could not justify the upgrade cost of $8k to go Cummins otherwise I would have.

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same truck with the 3.73. I get about 8 to 10 mpg towing about 8000lbs. I would assume you will get a little less being that it is a 4.10? Weight-wise, you technically (I said this because you will be ok on payload) would not need weight distribution. I tow mine to storage without the bars, but it is slow-speed streets and not highway. You should, however, use sway control which is usually built in to the WDH.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Grit Dog suggests take it for a short shake down run without the wdh to see how it feels. Personally, I would use it but it's your call. Miledge should be decent if you keep a light right foot.

Missouri_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken it on a couple of trips, the furthest was over 300 miles and avg. 8-10, but that was when I had 1000 miles on it. I was informed that the Ram Hemi get better mileage on longer trips and or the truck is broke in around 8000 miles.. Just getting an idea from owners with a similar set up is all. I have not pulled it with-out the WDH yet, and since I store it several miles from the house I hate to hook up drive 50 miles and drive back to find out but it does make sense to do that first. Now I am not going to cancel my trip just trying to map out all the details. My silverado with the same set up with the 5.3L V-8 only got 4-7 mpgs with a 25 gallon tank so its safe to say I was stopping an awful lot, especially when I went down to Houston. The Ram has a 31 gallon tank, so I am hoping not to stop as many times. Again I hope.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Re-reading your post, you've taken a "trip" already with the new truck, or just bobtail, haven't hooked it to the camper yet?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
You could take an anywhere from 10-50 mile jaunt with your new truck and trailer and figure out the answer to both questions (and actually be prepared with the trailer for a big road trip), or wait for the onslaught of nonsensical answers mixed in with a splash of objectivity and then sort through it.
When in reality, does it make a difference anyway? Gonna cancel the trip if it gets a couple mpg less?
Hint: It will get very similar mileage to your previous truck. Unless there are some extenuating circumstances.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold