cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for class A and C people with toads!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone noticed more and more lately of poorly located sewer connections. Most are located at the rear of a pull through, far enough back the toad would be left in the road. And some of these are high end resorts. It’s like they forgot that a MH has its connection in the middle of the rig which is farther forward than a TT or 5th wheel. Now some places are smart and have 2 or 3 connections to choose based on the RV location.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
23 REPLIES 23

dedmiston
Our fiver is ~45' long, so we carry that much of everything in case the pedestal is too far away:

* Shore power cord
* Shore power extension
* Two fresh water hoses
* An extendable tank flush hose
* A bunch of dump hoes

I don't like connecting the dump hoses because it's a coin toss whether the couplers will leak, but luckily we don't have to use them very often.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its really a crapshoot (pun intended, haha), as to where a campground places the sewer hookup. Might be in middle of site, might be at the back, or may even be near the front. That has always been the case. It just depends on where, how they run the lines, lay of the land, etc. Been that way as long as I can remember.

That is why you have to, like others said, bring enough hose to reach to the back of the camper, front, middle...wherever they may place the sewer outlet.

I typically carry a 10' hose and a 20' hose, both with the appropriate connectors so that I can easily hook them together when needed. That has worked fine even when sewer hookup is all the way at the back of the site.

Somewhat related to this: Last time we were out camping 2 weeks ago, we were staying just overnight at a place on our way home. We'd been staying at a place all week that had no sewer hookup, so chose to stay here overnight on the way home so we could empty the tanks. Sewer hookup was near the back, far enough back that I needed to use the longer 20' hose.

Well, guess what? Sewer hose busted a leak, so couldn't use it. And, 2nd hose, the 10' one, would not reach. Didn't want to unhitch the Jeep and back up enough to make it reach, so in the morning when we rolled out, we pulled out of the site, drove a loop around, came back into the campsite just far enough that shorter 10' hose would reach, used it to dump the tanks, then we went on our way.

Was a reminder of why I always like to carry two hoses - In case one busts at a time, place where you can't get a replacement right away, we have a backup hose (even if it may require some creativity in getting it to reach, haha).
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the time (my experience) when the connections are at the way back is in an older CG. Heck some even are uphill from where the camper’s drains are. Either was carry plenty of hose(s).
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think it is reasonable to expect every site in every campground to be set up perfectly for every camper. That is why we have extensions.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I carry extra sewer hoses. I’ve used them once and it was for a 40ft run. Not doing that again. If they just went one extra step and installed a second centrally located connection it would make it easier. Maybe I’m getting lazier as I get older, but maybe I’m also paying attention to poorly laid out sites!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
I carry extensions for water, power and sewer. No concerns as it is what it is.

When I had my class A I had a 20' 10' and 5' Sewer hose and a 50' black 3/4" rubber garden hose (Black) and a 25'Gray one.
And a portable Flo-Jet macerator

Usually I could reach the sewer inlet without using the macerator but occasionally.... glad I was I had it.

My rig had 3 tanks Black/gray and wash the wash was where I used the Gray hose. One park the inlet was about 8" from the road in FRONT of the RV.on one site (macerator time) and at the very rear on another (Used all my 3") and most in the middle. All same park.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
What they ^^^^^^^ said!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 40' of sewer hose and 50' of power cord and water hose. The utility locations on sites are rarely a problem.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry extensions for water, power and sewer. No concerns as it is what it is.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob