cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on a Jeep Wrangler toad (2010 JKUR) Key on/off?

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
We left Friday morning from SW Fla enroute home to S. Jersey. Later in the early afternoon a Ford pickup towing a camper pulled next to us on 95 N and said our red cable was dragging. Luckily I was a mile and a half from a rest stop so we pulled in, sure enough our power cord that charges the battery as we're driving had dragged for a bit and was destroyed. I unhooked it, started the Jeep and let it sit while we had lunch. After placed the key in the "acc." position and continued on until 5 and pulled into a CG. Started the jeep up again, shut it down and and grabbed some sleep. The next morning I plugged in our "Brake Buddy" system preped it for the drive that day, put the key in the "acc." position and left at 0700. Fast forward to 2/p and the sensor that plugs into the cigarette lighter begins to flash red, then stays glowing red, indicating something is wrong with the "Brake Buddy". Pull off in VA and sure enough the battery is completely dead. Take the power cord out of the cigarette lighter in the Jeep and finish our trip that day (Saturday) and arrive home yesterday with no supplemental braking system or blinker/stop lights on the Jeep. My question is does the key have to be in the acc. position, or can it be off. I noticed that when the transfer case is in "N" and the transmission is in "P" that I can move the steering wheel with no lock, however the Jeep manual clearly states the key must be in the acc mode while flat towing. I read in here somewhere that it's not necessary to have the key in acc position and that it's ok to have it off. Which is it? The reason I ask now is my battery in the Jeep is trashed and I'm wondering if I just put the ignition in the off position when I lost the cable I might have been able to save the battery.
Sorry for the book.

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
16 REPLIES 16

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
RJL wrote:
We left Friday morning from SW Fla enroute home to S. Jersey. Later in the early afternoon a Ford pickup towing a camper pulled next to us on 95 N and said our red cable was dragging. Luckily I was a mile and a half from a rest stop so we pulled in, sure enough our power cord that charges the battery as we're driving had dragged for a bit and was destroyed. I unhooked it, started the Jeep and let it sit while we had lunch. After placed the key in the "acc." position and continued on until 5 and pulled into a CG. Started the jeep up again, shut it down and and grabbed some sleep. The next morning I plugged in our "Brake Buddy" system preped it for the drive that day, put the key in the "acc." position and left at 0700. Fast forward to 2/p and the sensor that plugs into the cigarette lighter begins to flash red, then stays glowing red, indicating something is wrong with the "Brake Buddy". Pull off in VA and sure enough the battery is completely dead. Take the power cord out of the cigarette lighter in the Jeep and finish our trip that day (Saturday) and arrive home yesterday with no supplemental braking system or blinker/stop lights on the Jeep. My question is does the key have to be in the acc. position, or can it be off. I noticed that when the transfer case is in "N" and the transmission is in "P" that I can move the steering wheel with no lock, however the Jeep manual clearly states the key must be in the acc mode while flat towing. I read in here somewhere that it's not necessary to have the key in acc position and that it's ok to have it off. Which is it? The reason I ask now is my battery in the Jeep is trashed and I'm wondering if I just put the ignition in the off position when I lost the cable I might have been able to save the battery.
Sorry for the book.

Bob

Hey Bob,
I just pulled up a '10 JK owners manual on line and, to me, it doesn't make any sense. In step #8, it says to turn the engine off and turn the key to "ACC" position.

But, in step #13, it says to disconnect the negative battery cable and store it away from the battery.

Now, are they wanting you to put the key in the ACC position just to make sure the steering is unlocked? And that disconnecting the negative battery cable is to insure there is no battery drain due to certain parts of the electronic system being activated by leaving the key in the ACC position? If those two assumptions are correct, then yes, now it makes sense.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
At some point in time Jeep changed to not needing the key left on. Even our 2012 manual says to leave the key on. But online there was an updated manual somewhere that said you did not need to. And it was only because of the steering wheel lock. So, if yours does not lock you do not need to leave the key on.

But, you can not use the cigarette lighter socket in the dash since it is only on with the key on. Instead, use the one in the center console.

Previously, when we had a smaller motorhome and larger toad, we did set the Brake Buddy to to provide proportional braking and it needed a battery charge line. Currently we are set up to use only emergency braking and it does not need the battery charge line.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited