cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ram 1500 2013-2014 as toad

kysurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
looking at 2014 ram 1500 as toad. Will use existing readybrute towbar with roadmaster brackets. Will I have to trim any fascia for brackets? Unsure if I want to do that to a brand new vehicle. Anyone out there with experience. It will be a 1500 big horn 4x4.
Keith, Suzy two teenagers and a dog
2005 Seneca 35 GS Super C
2006 Dodge Durango with 5.7 Liter Hemi
6 REPLIES 6

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
FIRE UP: Nice post. Back in 2011 when I was in the market for a new pickup, I found GM had the most (for 4-down). Any Chrysler products I was not interested in.
I simply like Ford pickups. I would have preferred a F-150, but I can only tow "up to 5000 pounds". So, a smaller truck was the way to go for me.
I have my 2011 Ranger auto 4WD. I had the dealer install the "Transfer Case Neutral Kit"..."Ford only" for $400 installed....I think it's a rip-off, but I wanted it...they got it (ONLY them) so there it is.
Towing that with no problems...also 2007 Chevy HHR automatic. Again, no problems.

Jerseyjim,
Thanks for the nice comment. I've liked Fords most of my life and would have purchased one if, Ford would have pulled it's head out of its a.. but, it took them all the way to 2012 to finally get it right. So, we could not afford a 2012 Ford so, we got an '11 GMC and, we both really like it. Yep, that "NTK" from Ford is definitely a rip off. Like stated earlier, it's nothing but an LED in a bracket and, a little reprogramming of the ECM.

But, they have people by the short hairs on this, IF, they want to tow a Ranger. Too bad.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP: Nice post. Back in 2011 when I was in the market for a new pickup, I found GM had the most (for 4-down). Any Chrysler products I was not interested in.
I simply like Ford pickups. I would have preferred a F-150, but I can only tow "up to 5000 pounds". So, a smaller truck was the way to go for me.
I have my 2011 Ranger auto 4WD. I had the dealer install the "Transfer Case Neutral Kit"..."Ford only" for $400 installed....I think it's a rip-off, but I wanted it...they got it (ONLY them) so there it is.
Towing that with no problems...also 2007 Chevy HHR automatic. Again, no problems.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
My 2011 Ranger....using the BLUEOX baseplate...the very good instructions said I may have to cut some of the fiberglass to make it fit...but I didn't have to.
Cutting anything on a new vehicle can be "traumatizing"...just like the first dent. But after that......

CAN the Ram be towed 4-down with no mods? Can it towed 4-down at all? Check the owners manual before you buy.

When we looking for a new toad to carry our Honda Goldwing, obviously we were looking for trucks. What we found out in doing our research was the fact that, about 99.9% of the Dodge 1500 trucks, the GMC 1500 trucks and, the Chevy 1500 trucks could all be flat towed, as long as all those models were 4x4 and the transfer case (most electronically shifted) could be placed in "neutral" per the owners manual. But Ford, in its infinite wisdom, did not allow ANY of it's 1/2 ton series 4x4 units, all the way to 2012, to be flat towed. In 2012, they finally pulled their head out of the ground and re-engineered the transfer case and programming for shifting it, to allow a "Neutral" to be part of the gear selection.

And, we also looked at the Ford Ranger. It too was not authorized to be flat towed unless it was a two wheel drive stick. But, in a nicer setup, as in 4x4 automatic, the only way to do it and, still keep any warranty intact if you had any, was to purchase a "NTK" or, Neutral Tow Kit. You could purchase that kit from Ford and, while we didn't go real far into the research of the Ranger, as I understand it, not even all the 4x4 Rangers, even with the automatic could accept the NTK. About 99.9% of those Rangers, also had electronically shifted transfer cases. So, you had a certain, select group of years to choose from.

So, based on what we found out, I'd say the OPs selection of the Dodge Ram 1500 series 2014 truck should, I SAY SHOULD, be flat towable. But, yes, DO see it in writing, as in the owners manual to get positive proof that there's no issue with flat towing. Do NOT TAKE A SALESPERSON'S word for it! Now, I'm certainly no expert what's towable or not but, this is what we found out by actually going to owners manuals of the possible trucks we were thinking of at the time. And, I for one, am not a fan of installing any aftermarket pumps or, drive shaft disconnects, just to keep a certain brand/model in the picture. We wanted "FLAT TOWABLE" period.

I've not been a real "Dodge" fan for a long time but, of the couple of Dodge 1500 series we did look at, they were very, very nicely done and very well equipped. And, with the right package, they have become a serious contender in ultra fine looking trucks.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 Ranger....using the BLUEOX baseplate...the very good instructions said I may have to cut some of the fiberglass to make it fit...but I didn't have to.
Cutting anything on a new vehicle can be "traumatizing"...just like the first dent. But after that......

CAN the Ram be towed 4-down with no mods? Can it towed 4-down at all? Check the owners manual before you buy.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Keith,
I know how you feel when you are "squirmish" about chopping up even a tiny bit of the grill or, splash guard etc. on a new truck. I did it on our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 a while ago and, it really wasn't that bad. You see, our truck came with chrome tow hooks that stuck out a tiny bit in that same area. So, in the instructions for the base plate(s) (yes, "PLATES" as in TWO)installation, you simply remove the chrome tow hooks and install the base plates, one on each side. In the pictures below, you'll see how it almost looks natural, like it was done at the factory. You'll also see the electrical plug that I installed in a recessed portion of the grill so it would not be seen when not in use. And, you'll also see the tip of the cable for the Ready Brake, in a bracket, in the center of the grill, also recessed so it's not seen when the truck is not being towed. Just some ideas here for ya.

Now, again, I'm not sure of new Ram so, just how well they'll "blend" in will remain to be seen. Maybe someone on the net here has already done it and can post a pic of their install. Good luck.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
kysurveyor wrote:
looking at 2014 ram 1500 as toad. Will use existing readybrute towbar with roadmaster brackets. Will I have to trim any fascia for brackets? Unsure if I want to do that to a brand new vehicle. Anyone out there with experience. It will be a 1500 big horn 4x4.

You might give Vince a call at TOWBARS UNLIMITED TOWBARS for advice on a different base plate and the NSA adapters to go with it.
We use a DEMCO on our Jeep, along with the READYBRUTE and believe it's the best choice for a JK Wrangler and other Wranglers as well.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)