cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof panel replacement needed

afinepoint
Explorer
Explorer
The toyhauler has a soft spot at the the right rear corner about 10" square. When we purchased the 06 Adventure Manufacturing FBS26 a few years ago I noticed a vertical trim piece by the rear door was was swollen but didn't make the connection. The dealership replaced that piece but probably knew the issue.

Anyway the roof was resealed last fall by them and I had that soft spot looked at. The service person mentioned we could wait and see if it dried out. The trailer has been covered since then. I took it out for the state inspection and checked on the spot. It has spread by a few inches. So I am looking at a repair.

Question 1. I have advanced home repair skills. Is this a do-it-yourself job?

Question 2. This dealership says the entire roof must be replaced. Another small dealership said no. Which is it?

Question 3. We owe about $7000 on the trailer. The repair including roof replacement is $4667 excluding any additional repairs found. Is this trailer worth repairing? I am also replacing the vinyl flooring due to splitting. I will do that myself.

Thanks guys in advance,

Reg
Tow vehicle: 01 F350 7.3L CC Lariat 4X4 dually, 220 amp alt, lit by PIAA & KC, thrust by Dp tuner, braking courtesy of ART cryogenics and PF pads, on board air, lane clearing by Nathan Airchime train horns, car catcher by Road Armor. Trailer: RPM M-26FBS
5 REPLIES 5

afinepoint
Explorer
Explorer
Nyc : Yes I am sure the leak was there from the onset. The swollen vertical trim is proof. I didn't discover the soft area until well after owning the trailer. I didn't make the connect during the purchase. The dealership that sold it and quoted the repair is to get back to me on selling vs repairing. I know it will be a wash. I'll get more for the trade in or more of a discount. They do concern me a bit as they looked at the spot last year, never got back in touch and I had to call them back now a year later to get the quote. The sales person whom I spoke with today and sold the trailer has not called back.

C & M: I did look at several videos. No professionals doing what I am looking at doing. Most videos are on membrane repairs or entire replacement. One did show what I plan but the instructions were shaky.

I live in a subdivision in a Cul-de-sac. I would not be able to do the work here and the storage facility does not allow working on trailers or RVs. My thoughts were to move the trailer to a suitible location for the work. I just won't have much time to complete repairs.

Thanks all for the feedback,

Reg
Tow vehicle: 01 F350 7.3L CC Lariat 4X4 dually, 220 amp alt, lit by PIAA & KC, thrust by Dp tuner, braking courtesy of ART cryogenics and PF pads, on board air, lane clearing by Nathan Airchime train horns, car catcher by Road Armor. Trailer: RPM M-26FBS

Mike_and_Claudi
Explorer
Explorer
Go to YouTube. There are several videos on this. You can watch them and evaluate whether or not you would feel confident in performing them:

Roof Repair

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
You think the leak has been there since you purchased the unit a few years ago.
A vertical trim piece looked swollen when it was purchased used by you.
You still owe 7K on the unit and one repair estimate is approx 4.7K.

Looking at this solely from a financial POV what is the current book value on your toyhauler?
And is the area that needs floor replacement near the area that needs roof repair?

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double Post. :S
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go with the small dealer, depending on the price he gave you, if it doesn't work, you can always go back & have the whole thing done, however I don't see why you'd have to replace the entire roof for a 10" spot, providing there isn't any more spots.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund