cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Garage Door Size??

dfoxhoven
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm looking at building a home, unfortunatley, the development has HOA's which I'm not a fan of, but we're limited in our area and budget. With that being said, the builder can build me an RV garage 14x38 for my Travel trailer, which is fine with size as I don't plan on going bigger than that. However, the buildery wants to put a 10x12 door b/c they're concerned any bigger will scare potential buyers away from other homes. Granted my RV is only 8' wide, my concern is I'll be backing at a slight angle. Has anyone here had any success with a 10' wide RV garage door??
'13 Coachmen 310bhds
2005 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L SuperDuty
Daryl
Bri
Kaisen
Keelyn
Cabela and Tucker (Dogs)
19 REPLIES 19

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Tom/Barb on the angle of entrance. If your builder is going by the HOA'S specs I would approach the association to see if they would let you go 16' high on the garage. Your best case is a 16 X 40 at not that much more cost. With the 12' door the contractor is going to take up 2 feet of that with door hardware. even if you use a low clearance kit on the door hardware it still wouldn't be enough for me. Being a contractor I have seen similar, that the homeowners have gone to the HOA and explained his issues and not once was turned down. I'd try for the 16 X 40. Good Luck
Dennis Hoppert

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
The minimum size of the door is dependent upon the skill of the driver.

but remember, the incline entering the door is a big factor as to size of hight of the door.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
One of these might help
https://parkit360.ca/

If it was me I would want 12 foot wide and 14 feet high door and 40 feet deep. Future buyers may have a MH or many collector cars or another need for a bigger storage area. If I could convince my DW to move that's the size of garage I would be looking for.

X2
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
One of these might help
https://parkit360.ca/

If it was me I would want 12 foot wide and 14 feet high door and 40 feet deep. Future buyers may have a MH or many collector cars or another need for a bigger storage area. If I could convince my DW to move that's the size of garage I would be looking for.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be more concerned about the 12' height than the 10' width. My 5'er lists at 12'-6" w/ AC. And unless the door opens flush with the top, it could be less than 12' clear opening. I used to have a garage on my house (before converting the room), and the end of the door protruded about 4" down from the opening when fully opened.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF