cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV retail sales drop 31% April year over year.

Camper445
Explorer
Explorer
Article

With fuel approaching $5.00 per gallon national average and predicted to keep climbing, watch this accelerate like a runaway train. Of course they still sugarcoat it, which is to be expected coming from the RV Industry's propaganda publication.
64 REPLIES 64

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shall I list the reasons? Lets start with SSI, food stamps, medical cards, free or subsidized housing, food banks, and there is more. If you know how to work the system the last thing you need is a full time job. Need some extra cash sell some of your free meds, mow a couple of yards. You think this is not going on you are unaware of the way the real world works. And then there is the way the numbers are juggled to feed the results they want you to see. Nothing negative.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
GoDucks you just don't understand how the system works---plenty of people getting paid to stay home.

Complete nonsense and has no bearing on this topic. We're at full employment and many hourly folks still work more than one job.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
GoDucks you just don't understand how the system works---plenty of people getting paid to stay home.

lol, right?

Got a whole set of family members who been doing it for years! Decades actually!

They're not rookies like alot of the Covid bums....

Although, things are starting to get stressful for my kinfolk...first, the gubmint yanked the rug out from under them when they stopped paying all the extra covid cheeze, that hurt...and now the kids are getting older and not going to be a source of additional income for their deadbeat parents anymore....lol

PS I'm serious. It's a hard life making ends meet without expending any effort to work!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

dedmiston
PButler96 wrote:
Are you inferring that is due to increased sales of RV's? ...

*implying

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
PButler96 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
A friend of mine is an RV transporter, mostly Class A's. He told me he's up to his neck in work, and his boss is paying current drivers a recruiting bonus for bringing in new drivers that also get a signing bonus after 90 days.

Are you inferring that is due to increased sales of RV's? There is a labor shortage due to a host of reasons in the US with the main one being paying people to not work. Transporting RVs has never been a lucrative deal, the drivers are the low man on the totem pole and the RV Industry has not had enough transport drivers forever. The job sucks. 7-11 is paying bonuses for employees too, but it's not due to selling more Slurpees.

His employer normally has about 30 drivers on the roster, but currently has about 40 and is looking for another 10 or 15. His job is to move RV's from the manufacturers to dealers. Some are customer special orders while others are inventory replenishment. As inventories catch up to demand he expects the need to move them will start to taper off.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thermoguy wrote:
Demand is down when campgrounds have availability on a weekend or holiday.

When in the history of camping have campgrounds not been full during holiday weekends?

It's more the shoulder periods where you will see demand reflected in campgrounds. When demand is really high, you will see full campground mid-week and spring/fall.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
PButler96 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
A friend of mine is an RV transporter, mostly Class A's. He told me he's up to his neck in work, and his boss is paying current drivers a recruiting bonus for bringing in new drivers that also get a signing bonus after 90 days.

Are you inferring that is due to increased sales of RV's? There is a labor shortage due to a host of reasons in the US with the main one being paying people to not work. Transporting RVs has never been a lucrative deal, the drivers are the low man on the totem pole and the RV Industry has not had enough transport drivers forever. The job sucks. 7-11 is paying bonuses for employees too, but it's not due to selling more Slurpees.

Who's paying people not to work? I haven't received any stimulus money since 2020. That moneys long gone. Unemployment levels are at historic lows. Employers can't get help because there's not enough workers for the jobs. Last I saw there were 1.7 jobs for 1 worker. Unemployment is at 3.6%. The normal unemployment rate is 5%.
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Demand is down when campgrounds have availability on a weekend or holiday. Until then, the rest is just overstock. People buy because its the cool thing to do but then don't use it, or use it once a year for a while. Increased gas prices have people staying closer to home, not staying home. If people stop driving then the price would go down, supply and demand, people are driving for no reason, therefore the prices stay high....

At a recent RV dealer, lots of units on the lot - lots had sold signs on them. Could be they bought them last year and are just getting them? Not sure.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
afidel wrote:
Thor was obviously talking about channel stuffing (forcing dealerships to buy additional inventory to get good pricing or maintain status). They had access to this data well before RVIA released it, they knew where the trend line was headed and were just trying to keep the stock price up long enough for options to vest and for scheduled trades to happen. That announcement was all about making a few executives a bit more money at the expense of shareholders without technically lying enough to get sued.

Not just stock prices but the longer they can keep the appearance of a shortage, people will grab whatever is on the lot for full price and they don't have to give the dealers discounted inventory (or rebates or...what ever marketing term you want to use).

Once word is out that the market is crashing, a lot of buyers are likely to wait and see if the sales numbers and pricing comes down...creating a self fulfilling prophesy as they further reduce demand.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
LT Rvers 20+ years will not be affected have seen the same movie before, recession, gas prices, Great Recession, etc. Ignored Covid RV sales hype and doom and gloom gas prices. If you are serious about the lifestyle price drop is a good think, negotiate hard. Fewer RVers fewer crowds.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
"Over on the Grand Design forum those in the know said GD is down to 4 days a week and planning a 2 week shutdown in July for a retool.

I'm sure other brands will follow suit eventually if they haven't already."

I believe that! We moved from Elkhart to Shipshewana today and there are a lot of (new) RVs sitting around! There sure seems to be a "robust" inventory around! I guess time will tell for sure but it sure looks like the RV world is going to repeat history, as in '08. :h

Dan

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Interesting isnโ€™t a strong enough word. Sad will be a good start, but this fall wonโ€™t be the bottom of the market unfortunately. It will not be good though and on that we most all agree. Which is really the bad part as not many things we all yโ€™all agree on !
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold